JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Sunday, April 6, 2025

Cabo Star gets 2-year seabridge contract renewal

by

1662 days ago
20200918
The Cabo Star loaded with vehicles heading to Tobago in February.

The Cabo Star loaded with vehicles heading to Tobago in February.

pe­ter.christo­pher@guardian.co.tt

The Cabo Star will re­main as the car­go ves­sel in op­er­a­tion along on the seabridge be­tween Trinidad and To­ba­go for an ad­di­tion­al two years.

Min­is­ter of Works and Trans­port Ro­han Sinanan con­firmed the re­new­al of the ves­sel’s con­tract at yes­ter­day’s post-Cab­i­net me­dia brief­ing but said its dai­ly lease cost had been re­duced in the new con­tract.

“NID­CO went to Bridge­man, the own­ers of the Cabo Star, which was the pre­ferred sup­pli­ers, one of the short­list­ed sup­pli­ers and they had a re­duc­tion in their price so at this point in time, this morn­ing Cab­i­net have ac­cept­ed the rec­om­men­da­tion from NID­CO that we re­new the con­tract for the Cabo Star for a fur­ther two years at a re­duced rate of $16,000 US per day,” said Sinanan, who ex­plained this was $5,000 less than the cur­rent $21,000 per day con­tract.

This arrange­ment was made af­ter the Gov­ern­ment’s deal with Ste­na Ro­Ro was can­celled af­ter that com­pa­ny told NID­CO they could no longer pro­vide a ves­sel at an al­ready agreed price. NID­CO sim­i­lar­ly could not fi­nalise deals with the sec­ond and third-choice ten­ders and re­opened ne­go­ti­a­tions with Bridge­man for use of the Cabo Star. Sinanan said the new deal was even more favourable than the one agreed.

“When you con­sid­er the rate of the MV Ker­ry, which was the pre­ferred at the time, it was $20,500. The provider then sent a let­ter in­di­cat­ing to NID­CO that they can­not do it for less than $23,300 so NID­CO ter­mi­nat­ed the ne­go­ti­a­tions with them,” he said.

He said the seabridge should ex­pect the ar­rival of a new APT James ves­sel in No­vem­ber, while an­oth­er ves­sel to ser­vice the route will ar­rive in the first quar­ter of 2021.

“All in­di­ca­tions are that the ves­sels are on track at this point in time and we look for­ward to the ar­rival of the first ves­sel, the APT James, some­time lat­er on this year,” Sinanan said.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored