JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Controversy brewing over calypso in Tobago

by

Loyse VIncent
2255 days ago
20190131

An on­go­ing con­tro­ver­sy be­tween the To­ba­go Fes­ti­vals Com­mis­sion’s (TFC) ex­ec­u­tive chair­man George Lea­cock and Trin­ba­go Uni­fied Ca­lyp­so­ni­ans’ Or­gan­i­sa­tion (Tu­co) To­ba­go chair­man Ains­ley King is threat­en­ing this year’s ca­lyp­so sea­son on the is­land.

The hands-off ap­proach by To­ba­go House of As­sem­bly (THA) Tourism Sec­re­tary Na­dine Stew­art-Phillips is mak­ing the sit­u­a­tion worse, Tu­co claims.

Ear­li­er this week, the TFC es­tab­lished two new tents, fund­ed by the THA, with­out Tu­co’s in­volve­ment, claim­ing of­fi­cials of the ca­lyp­so or­gan­i­sa­tion had not at­tend­ed a pro­pos­al meet­ing.

Last year, there were nine THA-spon­sored tents, for which “the ex­pen­di­ture proved fruit­less as there was lim­it­ed re­al ca­lyp­so tent ac­tiv­i­ty on the is­land”, Lea­cock said in a state­ment on Jan­u­ary 24.

He said THA Chief Sec­re­tary Kelvin Charles had di­rect­ed the TFC to re­solve the is­sue, so a pro­pos­al had been pre­pared.

“The pro­pos­al will see more con­cen­trat­ed fund­ing for two ca­lyp­so tents and pos­si­bly a third—fo­cused on de­vel­op­ment—in 2019,” he said in the state­ment.

Lea­cock said all in­ter­est­ed par­ties were in­vit­ed to a meet­ing, but “Tu­co did not at­tend.” How­ev­er, he added, “a small group of ca­lyp­so­ni­ans at­tend­ed and con­tributed to round­ing out the pro­pos­al”.

King said Tu­co of­fi­cials are not pre­pared to meet with Lea­cock un­less there is me­di­a­tion.

In a Jan­u­ary 26 state­ment, the ca­lyp­so or­gan­i­sa­tion said it had sent its bud­get and pro­pos­al to the TFC, as well as a sep­a­rate let­ter claim­ing that Lea­cock’s “ac­tions...over the past two years...(dic­tat­ed that) me­di­a­tion is nec­es­sary dur­ing any form of dis­cus­sions (with him)”.

King said Tu­co’s re­quest for sim­i­lar in­ter­ven­tion in 2017 re­mained un­ad­dressed.

“I went to the TFC of­fice to meet with Mr Lea­cock to dis­cuss ra­dio ad­ver­tis­ing for Tu­co events for the sea­son. I was force­ful­ly re­moved from the TFC of­fice by George Lea­cock,” he claimed.

King said when he spoke with Stew­art-Phillips about the in­ci­dent, “she sends me back to Mr Lea­cock to find a so­lu­tion”.

He asked: “How can she send me back to the same per­son who caused the prob­lem in the first place with­out some­one else to act as me­di­a­tor?”

King said Tu­co’s gov­ern­ing body in Trinidad will meet be­fore the end of the week to dis­cuss the way for­ward.

Stew­art-Phillips de­clined to com­ment and said Lea­cock was han­dling all queries on the mat­ter.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored