Senior Multimedia Reporter
radhica.sookraj@guardian.co.tt
As the school term nears its end, altercations erupted in three separate schools this week, culminating in the most recent incident near Princes Town West Secondary, where a Form Five student was stabbed on Thursday.
The 15-year-old of St Mary’s Village, Moruga, suffered a puncture wound on his left side near his rib and has been discharged from the Princes Town District Health Facility.
School officials, the Education Ministry and the police have started separate investigations into the stabbing.
At least six students witnessed the incident but a police official said they are yet to give statements. The incident occurred on the same day term tests ended.
Speaking to Guardian Media yesterday, the father of the injured student confirmed that the stabbing occurred outside the school compound.
He said his son and two of his classmates were walking up the Naparima Mayaro Road with three female students when the incident took place.
“I got a phone call that my son hurt and when I reached there, an ambulance had just arrived,” the father recalled.
He added: “My son told me he and his friends were walking up the road to get a taxi to head back into the town when another student came from behind and slapped one of the boys who was walking next to my son. With that slap, my son turned around and just as he spun around, the student pulled out the blade with his right hand and stuck him.”
The victim’s father claimed the perpetrator had been caught with an icepick and a screwdriver in the school just last week. He questioned why the student was allowed to come to school after the items were seized.
“I asked my son if they had any altercation before and he said no. He said he and the fella had no dispute before. That student came last week with an icepick or a screwdriver and they took it away from him because he wanted to stab somebody,” the father claimed.
He said his son has since been discharged from the hospital and is resting at home.
“He got stitches and he is lying down now resting,” he added.
The worried father feared that students were mimicking what they saw in the wider society. He lamented that too many children appeared not to have any respect for authority.
“What the younger ones see the older ones doing is what they will do,” he added.
He said his son was not afraid to return to school to continue his education.
The father added he had no faith in the promise made by Education Minister Dr Nyan Gadsby-Dolly that unruly students would be expelled and enrolled into the Military Led Academic Training (MiLAT) programme.
Guardian Media reached out to Gadsby-Dolly for a comment but she did not respond.
‘Cancel school bazaars’
However, the president of the Concerned Parent Movement Clarance Mendoza called on the Education Ministry to implement additional safety measures to protect children. He said school violence has become worse.
“We understand the Minister has laid out the measures regarding MiLAT but we also need to look at what is happening outside the school when they congregate. We want all school bazaars to be cancelled and additional patrols to be placed outside schools,” he recommended.
This week there were three fights caught on camera and circulated on social media. The first occurred at Signal Hill in Tobago, the second at Williamsville Secondary and the third outside Princes Town Secondary.