JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Couple wins $815k appeal in Privy Council

by

787 days ago
20230206

GUARDIAN

Derek Achong

A Princes Town cou­ple has suc­ceed­ed in their fi­nal ap­peal over be­ing or­dered to pay a sub­stan­tial $815,200 fine for fail­ing to abide by an or­der from the Town and Coun­try Plan­ning Di­vi­sion to de­mol­ish unau­tho­rised ad­di­tions to their prop­er­ty.

De­liv­er­ing a judge­ment last week, five Law Lords of the Unit­ed King­dom-based Privy Coun­cil up­held Chan­dra and In­grid Silochan’s ap­peal as they pro­vid­ed a de­tailed in­ter­pre­ta­tion of the pro­vi­sions of the Town and Coun­try Plan­ning Act.

In 2002, the Silochans pur­chased a sin­gle-sto­ry home in Champ Fleurs and be­gan to con­vert it in­to mul­ti­ple apart­ments.

The cou­ple ap­plied for plan­ning per­mis­sion for the project but were re­fused by the di­vi­sion.

On No­vem­ber 21, 2005, the di­vi­sion’s de­vel­op­ment con­trol in­spec­tor Rick­ie Ce­de­no served the Silochans with an en­force­ment no­tice to de­mol­ish the un­ap­proved ad­di­tions by Jan­u­ary 15, 2006.

The di­vi­sion wait­ed un­til Oc­to­ber 2008 to file a com­plaint against the cou­ple for fail­ing to abide by the no­tice.

In ear­ly 2017, for­mer mag­is­trate and cur­rent High Court Judge Lisa Ram­sumair-Hinds found the Silochans guilty of two of­fences un­der Sec­tion 18 of the leg­is­la­tion. One of­fence was for the cou­ple ini­tial­ly fail­ing to meet the dead­line for de­mo­li­tion, while the oth­er was for them fail­ing to com­ply from the day af­ter the dead­line to the date of their even­tu­al con­vic­tion be­fore her.

The Silochans were fined $700 for the ini­tial breach and $815,200 for the con­tin­u­ing breach, which was cal­cu­lat­ed at $200 per day for 4,076 days be­tween 2006 and 2017. The cou­ple were al­so or­dered to serve two years in prison with hard labour if they failed to pay the fines.

In Oc­to­ber 2021, the Court of Ap­peal par­tial­ly up­held the cou­ple’s chal­lenge over the han­dling of their case.

The Ap­peal Court ruled that the di­vi­sion could not pur­sue the ini­tial of­fence as its com­plaint was filed be­yond the six month time lim­it for do­ing so un­der the Sum­ma­ry Courts Act.

How­ev­er, it ruled that their con­vic­tion for the con­tin­u­ing of­fence was valid and the sen­tence im­posed was ap­pro­pri­ate. The Ap­peal Court al­so ruled that the cou­ple should face sim­ple im­pris­on­ment and not hard labour if they failed to pay the fine.

In de­ter­min­ing the case, Lord Ben Stephens dis­agreed with the lo­cal courts’ in­ter­pre­ta­tion that the leg­is­la­tion cre­at­ed two dis­tinct of­fences.

“Rather, it cre­ates a sin­gle of­fence which can take place con­tin­u­ous­ly over a pe­ri­od of time and which spec­i­fies two po­ten­tial max­i­mum fines in re­la­tion to that sin­gle of­fence,” Lord Stephens said.

He stat­ed that a max­i­mum fine of $1,500 could be ap­plied for fail­ing to abide by the no­tice on the first day cov­ered by the com­plaint and not on the dead­line set on the no­tice.

“The Board de­ter­mines that the words “the first day” do not re­fer to the first day up­on which there was fail­ure to com­ply with the en­force­ment no­tice but rather they re­fer to the first day cov­ered by the com­plaint dur­ing which the re­quire­ments of the en­force­ment no­tice re­main un­ful­filled,” Lord Stephens said.

He sug­gest­ed that the $300 per day fine would ap­ply to every day af­ter the first dur­ing the pe­ri­od of the com­plaint.

Lord Stephens point­ed out that the com­plaint could on­ly ap­ply to the six months of non-com­pli­ance that pre­ced­ed it (the com­plaint) and not for the en­tire pe­ri­od of non-com­pli­ance.

Based on his find­ings, Lord Stephens amend­ed the cou­ple’s con­vic­tions so they were each con­vict­ed of a sin­gle of­fence of fail­ing to com­ply be­tween April and Au­gust 2008.

Lord Stephens and his col­leagues re­mit­ted the case to the Court of Ap­peal to de­ter­mine the ap­pro­pri­ate sen­tence for the cou­ple for the 118 day pe­ri­od.

“The Court of Ap­peal is bet­ter placed than the Board to ob­tain in­for­ma­tion as to, for in­stance, the age and per­son­al cir­cum­stances of the ap­pel­lants to­geth­er with de­tails as to the fi­nan­cial ben­e­fit, if any, which they have ob­tained by this un­law­ful de­vel­op­ment,” he said.

The cou­ple was rep­re­sent­ed by Anand Be­har­ry­lal, KC, Sian McGib­bon, Omar Sab­bagh, Ronald Dowlath, and Melis­sa Ram­di­al. Robert Strang rep­re­sent­ed the di­vi­sion.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored