Rising COVID-19 hospitalisations have prompted the Ministry of Health to reactivate two step-down facilities in the parallel healthcare system.
According to Minister of Health, Terrence Deyalsingh, the decision was made on Sunday.
"This will allow patients who are just on the cusp of being discharged to go into a step-down facility as we used to have, so that they can spend their final two to three days, or four days in a step-down facility. That will then make room at the hospital level for people who need to be warded," Minister Deyalsingh said at Wednesday's virtual press conference.
He said by early next week, the Point Fortin Area Hospital and the UTT Valsayn Campus will be reactivated, providing capacity for 35 and 40 ambulatory patients respectively.
Since July 27, there has been roughly a 65 per cent increase in people becoming severely ill and being warded for the disease.
Earlier this year, the step-down facilities were all deactivated due to decreasing hospitalisation numbers.