JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

COVID patient in Sando surgical ward

by

1292 days ago
20210920

RAD­HI­CA DE SIL­VA

rad­hi­ca.sookraj@guardian.co.tt

 

For three days a COVID-19 pos­i­tive pa­tient was kept on the sur­gi­cal ward of the San Fer­nan­do Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal pos­si­bly ex­pos­ing oth­er pa­tients and vis­i­tors to the dead­ly virus.

Af­ter con­cerns were raised, the man, who is wheel­chair-bound, was re­moved from the ward at 4 am on Mon­day.

A med­ical doc­tor who was do­ing rounds at the ward had been heard com­plain­ing about why a COVID-19 pos­i­tive pa­tient was be­ing kept on the sur­gi­cal ward.

It was then oth­er pa­tients were alert­ed.

Ward 6 Sur­gi­cal ward on the first floor has 18 pa­tients in two sec­tions and ac­com­mo­dates am­putees and oth­er pa­tients with co­mor­bidi­ties like di­a­betes, hy­per­ten­sion and heart ail­ments.

A source who re­quest­ed anonymi­ty said the pa­tients on the ward seemed obliv­i­ous to the man's con­di­tion even though his bed was screened off and a nurse in full PPE sat near a win­dow. Oth­er pa­tients were sep­a­rat­ed from the COVID-19 pos­i­tive pa­tient by a screen.

De­spite the screens, the COVID-19 pa­tient used the same wash­room as the oth­er pa­tients and would wheel him­self through the ward to get there be­fore re­turn­ing to the screened-off area.

"These screens can­not pre­vent any­one from be­com­ing ex­posed. On­ly the nurse was well pro­tect­ed with PPE but every­one else on the ward, at least 18 pa­tients plus all the vis­i­tors who came to see them have been ex­posed over the past three days," the source said.

Med­ical per­son­nel at the ward was up­set that the man was be­ing kept in a place where there were pa­tients with co-mor­bidi­ties.

A floor of the San Fer­nan­do Hos­pi­tal had been used to house COVID-19 pa­tients but this floor is sep­a­rate from any pub­lic area fre­quent­ed by oth­er non-COVID-19 pa­tients.

"We want to know why the au­thor­i­ties brought him to Ward 6. It is not fair to the oth­er pa­tients. There are oth­er fa­cil­i­ties where he could have been housed," a source added.

Se­nior gov­ern­ment of­fi­cials were con­tact­ed on Sun­day night and arrange­ments were made to trans­fer the pa­tient to a COVID fa­cil­i­ty.

Con­tact­ed for com­ment Min­is­ter of Health Ter­rence Deyals­ingh said, "Ask the CEO as I al­ways ad­vise. This is very im­por­tant and he is on-site."

Calls and mes­sages to the Chief Ex­ec­u­tive Of­fi­cer of the South­west Re­gion­al Health Au­thor­i­ty Dr Bri­an Ar­mour went unan­swered.

San FernandoCOVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored