A 20-year-old man held under a Preventive Detention Order (PDO) has discontinued his lawsuit over being denied access to free legal representation while seeking to challenge his detention before the State of Emergency (SoE) Review Tribunal.
Jamaalee “Maly” Wilson withdrew the case on Monday when it came up for hearing before Justice Robin Mohammed.
During the hearing, the tribunal, through chairman David Alexander, accepted that it had the power to grant SoE detainees legal aid and indicated it would consider Wilson’s application for such.
Wilson’s lawyer, Keron Ramkhalwhan, of Juris X Chambers, said the case was no longer necessary, as the tribunal had granted the relief his client was seeking.
Wilson was issued a PDO on July 18 and has been detained at the Eastern Correctional and Rehabilitation Centre (ECRC) since then.
According to his PDO, Wilson was credibly identified as an active member of a gang. It added that the gang has access to a cache of firearms and ammunition and is engaged in home invasions, shootings, woundings, assaults and witness intimidation. Wilson was described as a senior member and operative for the gang, who, along with others, took part in armed robbery in a public space.
On July 29, nearly two weeks after he was detained, Wilson’s mother, Abena Wilson, wrote to the tribunal seeking an urgent review of his detention, indicating the family could not afford an attorney and wished to access legal aid.
Tribunal secretary Navaranee Ali-Dookram responded on July 30, advising that the family should first approach the Legal Aid and Advisory Authority (LAAA) for assistance. However, the LAAA indicated it did not have the power to provide such representation.
After Wilson’s lawyer sent a pre-action protocol letter to the tribunal, the authority and the Office of the Attorney General threatening legal action, LAAA chairman Renuka Rambhajan indicated that his complaint against the authority was misplaced.
Rambhajan referred to regulations governing the tribunal, which gives it (the tribunal) the power to appoint a legal representative for a detainee if they do not have sufficient means to retain one. The regulations also state that the costs associated with the representation should be covered by a fund established by Parliament for the tribunal.
“Accordingly, it is for the tribunal to appoint legal representation and not the LAAA,” Rambhajan said.
The case was eventually filed against the tribunal on Saturday.
In his court filings, Ramkhalwhan argued that detainees are being deprived of a meaningful opportunity to challenge their detention because no clear procedure exists for obtaining state-funded legal representation.
“An entire class of persons has been deprived of liberty by executive order, told that they may present their case before the tribunal in person or by a legal representative, and then left without any means, mechanism or information by which a legal representative might actually be obtained,” Ramkhalwhan said, as he claimed that detainees’ constitutional right to protection of the law was being infringed.
After allowing the withdrawal of the case, Justice Mohammed commended Ramkhalwhan for pursuing the challenge that clarified the position, noting it could affect other detainees.
Justice Mohammed did not order Wilson to pay the tribunal’s legal costs for defending the short-lived case.
Wilson was also represented by Anwar Hosein.
