rishard.khan@guardian.co.tt
A dismembered body was found in the waters off Chaguaramas by Dragon Boat athletes training there yesterday.
Dragon Boats of the Caribbean team members training at Williams Bay made the discovery around 8 am.
One of the men who made the discovery spoke to Guardian Media on the condition of anonymity.
The boater said they were taking a route toward Alcoa and then turning around to head toward Pier 1, when they noticed an object floating in the water.
“We started to smell a strong smell and then one of my paddlers noticed something floating in the water. So, one person mentioned it’s probably some pig or rotted meat or cow or beef or something and then someone said but no, look that’s a heel and then we notice the toes and then we noticed that’s a whole foot section,” he said.
He said they decided to immediately leave the site and head back to shore to alert the Dragon Boat Federation’s president and the police.
“Upon trying to paddle back to shore, we noticed the torso and one side of an arm and hand in the water,” he said.
The dragon boater said his team was traumatised by what they experienced.
“A number of us were shaken, actually trembling. I, myself—death is not something new to me, I’ve seen death before—but at the same time, you can’t get accustomed to it...I had to take a sit. I had to sit down and just collect myself a little bit,” he said.
He expressed deep concern over the state of affairs surrounding murders in the country. He said there were numerous people unknowingly bathing in close proximity to the remains.
Meanwhile, Dragon Boat Federation president Keith Dalip said, fortunately, it was the adult team who made the discovery and not some of the youth teams who were also present yesterday.
“Some of our juniors were about to head out on the water and we simply told them to stay on the shore because it would have been very traumatic for them to experience something like that on the water,” he said.
Dalip said they were practising for an upcoming competition.
Western Division police officials told Guardian Media they believe the dismembered body was disposed of in garbage bags close to the water before high tide pulled it into the sea.
Members of the T&T Coast Guard retrieved the body parts but police combed the area for several hours thereafter searching for the missing body parts. Police believe the deceased is a male but had not been able to identify him up to last evening.
This was the second time in recent weeks a dismembered body had been discovered.
On September 22, a burnt and decomposing dismembered body was found in multiple garbage bags a few hundred metres from Bushe Street in Curepe. The body was in such an advanced state of decomposition they were not able to discern the person’s gender or ethnicity.