JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Duke, PSA fined $35,000 each in contempt matter

by

Derek Achong
366 days ago
20240403
File: PDP leader Watson Duke

File: PDP leader Watson Duke

VNDRA GOPAUL-BOODAN

Pro­gres­sive De­mo­c­ra­t­ic Pa­tri­ots (PDP) po­lit­i­cal leader Wat­son Duke has been strong­ly crit­i­cised for fail­ing to abide by a court or­der while serv­ing as Pub­lic Ser­vices As­so­ci­a­tion (PSA) pres­i­dent. 

The con­dem­na­tion was de­liv­ered last week by High Court Judge Devin­dra Ram­per­sad, who found both Duke and the PSA in con­tempt of court and fined them $35,000 each.

The con­tempt of court pro­ceed­ings stemmed from a law­suit over al­leged fi­nan­cial ir­reg­u­lar­i­ties and a fail­ure to hold non-ex­ec­u­tive elec­tions against Duke and the PSA.

Five mem­bers—Cur­tis Cuffie, Demetrius Har­ri­son, An­nisha Per­sad, Cur­tis Meade, and Du­aine He­witt—brought the case against both par­ties in ear­ly 2019.

Al­most one year af­ter the law­suit was filed, Jus­tice Ram­per­sad up­held the group’s claim. He or­dered that the prop­er pro­ce­dure for ex­pen­di­ture, un­der the union’s con­sti­tu­tion, be fol­lowed by con­ven­ing an an­nu­al gen­er­al con­fer­ence to seek ap­proval.

Ram­per­sad up­held Rule 69, which man­dates that its an­nu­al bud­get be ap­proved by the PSA’s Con­fer­ence of Del­e­gates, which con­sists of rep­re­sen­ta­tives of var­i­ous “sec­tions” that make up the union. 

The rule al­so pro­vides for the Gen­er­al Coun­cil, which con­sists of mem­bers elect­ed from the Con­fer­ence of Del­e­gates, to man­age the month-to-month spend­ing in ac­cor­dance with the ap­proved bud­get. 

Ram­per­sad or­dered that all “sec­tion” elec­tions for the se­lec­tion of mem­bers of the Gen­er­al Coun­cil be held with­in a month of his judg­ment.

Cuffie and He­witt filed a con­tempt case in De­cem­ber 2022, claim­ing that the judge’s or­ders had not been fol­lowed. The ac­tion was brought against the union, Duke, for­mer PSA gen­er­al sec­re­tary Sha­lene Su­chit-Dwari­ka, and the union’s then-trustees Dawn Gar­cia and Caray Price. 

PSA pres­i­dent Leroy Bap­tiste—who re­placed Duke af­ter he re­signed in late 2021 due to his short-lived role as To­ba­go House of As­sem­bly (THA) deputy chief sec­re­tary—, first vice pres­i­dent Fe­l­isha Thomas, gen­er­al sec­re­tary Kel­lon Wal­lace, deputy gen­er­al sec­re­tary Ria Ralph-Wat­son, and trustee Keb­ba Thatch­er were sub­se­quent­ly added to the claim.

In de­cid­ing the case, Jus­tice Ram­per­sad not­ed that the con­fer­ence took place in March 2023, un­der Bap­tiste’s tenure. 
He not­ed that Bap­tiste and his team should not be held li­able, as they at­tempt­ed to com­ply and could not be said to be in fla­grant breach of his or­der. 

Deal­ing with Duke, Jus­tice Ram­per­sad not­ed that he did not take steps to en­sure com­pli­ance be­fore demit­ting of­fice. 

“What was done was in this court’s view whol­ly and woe­ful­ly in­suf­fi­cient,” he said.

“Di­rect­ing his of­fi­cers to com­ply with­out en­sur­ing that com­pli­ance, all the while man­ag­ing and con­trol­ling the first de­fen­dant with­out the ben­e­fit of a prop­er­ly con­sti­tut­ed Gen­er­al Coun­cil and with­out the over­sight of the an­nu­al gen­er­al con­fer­ence over the course of two years de­spite this court’s or­der, is high­ly rep­re­hen­si­ble,” he added.

Jus­tice Ram­per­sad fur­ther crit­i­cised Duke for fail­ing to ex­plain his ra­tio­nale for non-com­pli­ance.

“In the court’s re­spect­ful view, hav­ing re­gard to the in­cred­i­ble re­spon­si­bil­i­ties im­posed on the sec­ond de­fen­dant (Duke), he ought to have at­tend­ed be­fore this court to give ev­i­dence and lay out his thought process, es­pe­cial­ly hav­ing re­gard to the al­le­ga­tions that were made against him in the sub­stan­tive mat­ter,” he said.

In de­cid­ing what or­ders to make against Duke, Jus­tice Ram­per­sad re­ject­ed re­quests from Cuffie and He­witt to im­prison him.

“The court is of the re­spect­ful view that there is no use­ful pur­pose in im­pos­ing a sen­tence of im­pris­on­ment on the sec­ond de­fen­dant, es­pe­cial­ly since he is no longer in the po­si­tion since the end of 2021,” Jus­tice Ram­per­sad said.

He added that a fine for Duke and the PSA was more ap­pro­pri­ate.

Duke and the PSA were giv­en un­til April 16 to pay the fine. The dead­line will re­main un­less they ap­peal the de­ci­sion and ob­tain a stay of ex­e­cu­tion.

While Duke and the PSA were or­dered to pay the duo’s costs for bring­ing the con­tempt pro­ceed­ings, they (the duo) were or­dered to pay the sig­nif­i­cant costs in­curred by Bap­tiste and his team for de­fend­ing the case. 

In a re­lease, the as­so­ci­a­tion said it was sat­is­fied with the out­come.

“The as­so­ci­a­tion ex­press­es its grat­i­tude to the court for swift­ly dis­miss­ing these spu­ri­ous al­le­ga­tions brought against its cur­rent ex­ec­u­tive by the claimants,” it said.

“With this le­gal mat­ter put to rest, the PSA can chan­nel its en­er­gies en­tire­ly to­ward serv­ing its mem­bers and ad­vanc­ing the ob­jec­tives of the or­gan­i­sa­tion.”

The duo was rep­re­sent­ed by Raisa Cae­sar. The PSA, Duke, Su­chit-Dwari­ka, Gar­cia and Price were rep­re­sent­ed by Ra­jiv Per­sad, SC, John Heath, SC, Li­onel Luck­hoo, Shel­don My­coo and Danelle Singh. Ralph-Wat­son was rep­re­sent­ed by Bri­an Came­jo.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored