JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Efforts continue to recover body of fourth diver

by

RADHICA DE SILVA
1128 days ago
20220302
Berth No 6 offshore platform at Pointe-a-Pierre where five divers were sucked into a 30-inch diameter pipeline, on 25th February 2022. (Image by RISHI RAGOONATH)

Berth No 6 offshore platform at Pointe-a-Pierre where five divers were sucked into a 30-inch diameter pipeline, on 25th February 2022. (Image by RISHI RAGOONATH)

RAD­HI­CA DE SIL­VA
rad­hi­ca.sookraj@guardian.co.tt

 

Vanes­sa Kussie, the wife of miss­ing div­er Rishi Nages­sar says pump­ing of a 30-inch di­am­e­ter pipeline is con­tin­u­ing to­day to re­trieve the corpse of her dead hus­band.

Speak­ing to Guardian Me­dia, Kussie said she re­ceived an up­date from the com­pa­ny on Wednes­day.

"They told me they are pump­ing the pipeline slow­ly so his body will re­main in­tact. I am thank­ful for that," Kussie said.

She added, "They al­so told me they are still tak­ing out oil from the line. They are pump­ing the line but not fast. They're pump­ing cau­tious­ly and I ap­pre­ci­ate every­thing they are do­ing. I am just wait­ing to get clo­sure."

Mean­while, Nages­sar's el­der broth­er, Ra­jesh Be­har­ry, said he was try­ing to cope with the tragedy.

"It is hard for me deal­ing with this. They are still look­ing for the body. I am see­ing about many dif­fer­ent things and it re­al­ly hard," Be­har­ry said.

"They have sent in an RV in­to the pipeline, but they still have not seen any­thing as yet," he added.

Guardian Me­dia sent an email to Paria Fu­el Trad­ing Com­pa­ny on Wednes­day ask­ing for an up­date on the re­cov­ery ef­forts but there has been no re­sponse as yet.

Nages­sar and four oth­er divers—Fyzal Kur­ban, Yusuff Hen­ry, Christo­pher Boodram and Kaz­im Ali Jr—were con­duct­ing main­te­nance works on a 30-inch di­am­e­ter seabed crude oil pipeline at Berth No 6, Pointe-a-Pierre on Feb­ru­ary 25th, when they were sucked in­to the pipeline.

Two hours lat­er, Boodram was pulled out of the pipeline by an­oth­er div­er.

He had been saved by Kur­ban, a div­er with 30 years’ ex­pe­ri­ence, who man­aged to push him along the line so he could get out. Kur­ban died along with the oth­er divers.

Kur­ban's fa­ther Ramjohn Kur­ban had per­ished on 17th Oc­to­ber 1985, when an off­shore plat­form in that same area erupt­ed in flames. De­spite this, Kur­ban be­came a cer­ti­fied com­mer­cial div­er, work­ing in sev­er­al parts of the world and train­ing dozens of oth­er divers. Some of these divers had been will­ing to en­ter the pipeline when the men be­came stuck on Fri­day af­ter­noon.

The rea­son that the divers were pulled in­to a vor­tex cre­at­ed in­side the pipeline is now the sub­ject of an in­ves­ti­ga­tion. Boodram's rel­a­tives said he re­mains trau­ma­tised and is still ward­ed at a pri­vate hos­pi­tal.

___

This is a de­vel­op­ing sto­ry and Guardian Me­dia will up­date it as in­for­ma­tion comes to hand.

accidentParia Fuel Trading CompanyInvestigation


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored