JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Elderly man who killed nephew in land dispute released from jail

by

115 days ago
20241210

A 66-year-old man from San Fer­nan­do, who chopped his nephew to death over a fam­i­ly prop­er­ty dis­pute, has been re­leased af­ter spend­ing a lit­tle over 15 years in prison.

High Court Judge Tri­cia Hudlin-Coop­er or­dered Han­iff Mo­hammed’s re­lease as she sen­tenced him late last week.

Jus­tice Hudlin-Coop­er ruled that Mo­hammed had al­ready served his sen­tence for manslaugh­ter while await­ing tri­al.

Mo­hammed, a for­mer Ca­roni (1975) Lim­it­ed work­er, was ini­tial­ly charged with mur­der­ing his 24-year-old nephew, In­shan Dol­ly.

Ac­cord­ing to ev­i­dence in the case, the crime stemmed from a long-stand­ing prop­er­ty dis­pute be­tween Mo­hammed and his sib­lings, in­clud­ing Dol­ly’s fa­ther.

Dol­ly’s fa­ther, Bis­ram, was in charge of a par­cel of joint ten­an­cy land that his and Mo­hammed’s par­ents had left them and their nine sib­lings.

Mo­hammed al­leged­ly pro­claimed him­self the sole own­er of the land and rent­ed out a por­tion. Mo­hammed re­port­ed­ly had a habit of hawk­ing and spit­ting at Dol­ly and oth­er fam­i­ly mem­bers, who chal­lenged his claim to the land.

On May 20, 2009, Bis­ram went to Mo­hammed’s home af­ter his wife told him that his son was in­volved in an ar­gu­ment with Mo­hammed.

Bis­ram and an­oth­er broth­er at­tempt­ed to dif­fuse the sit­u­a­tion and lead Dol­ly away.

Dol­ly picked up a stone while walk­ing away but put it down af­ter be­ing cau­tioned by his fa­ther.

Dol­ly broke away and ran to­wards Mo­hammed, who drew a cut­lass and chopped him on the neck and back. Dol­ly fell in­to a near­by drain.

He was tak­en for med­ical treat­ment but suc­cumbed to his in­juries.

Mo­hammed was ini­tial­ly charged with mur­der but was al­lowed to plead guilty to the less­er of­fence of manslaugh­ter by provo­ca­tion based on a plea agree­ment ne­go­ti­at­ed with the Of­fice of the Di­rec­tor of Pub­lic Pros­e­cu­tions (DPP) by his lawyer Michelle Ali of the Pub­lic De­fend­ers’ De­part­ment.

In de­cid­ing on the ap­pro­pri­ate sen­tence, Jus­tice Hudlin-Coop­er did not agree with the 24-year start­ing sen­tence that was agreed to un­der the agree­ment.

She in­creased the start­ing sen­tence to 30 years be­fore ap­ply­ing a one-third dis­count based on his guilty plea.

Jus­tice Hudlin-Coop­er gave a fur­ther one-year dis­count based on Mo­hammed’s med­ical con­di­tions, one year for his age, and two years for his re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion while on re­mand.

Af­ter de­duct­ing the time he spent on re­mand, Mo­hammed was left with four months and 18 days left to serve. How­ev­er, Jus­tice Hudlin-Coop­er used her dis­cre­tion to sen­tence him to time served.

She al­so ad­vised Mo­hammed to man­age his anger as he re­joins so­ci­ety.

“You made your anger get the best of you and for 15-plus years you sat in prison. You still could not en­joy that piece of land for 15 plus years,” she said.

The DPP’s Of­fice was rep­re­sent­ed by Chanelle Moe and Jen­nifer Os­borne. Mo­hammed was al­so rep­re­sent­ed by Aixa Ed­wards.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored