Senior Reporter
sascha.wilson@guardian.co.tt
Residents in Princes Town and environs can now breathe a sigh of relief with the return of a fire station presence in the area after a two-year absence.
A temporary fire station officially began operations on Wednesday from the former URP building on King Street, Princes Town, restoring emergency response services to the district. The original fire station building on High Street, Princes Town, was shut down in July 2024 due to a rodent infestation and other health and safety concerns.
Over the years, there were several fires, including fatal incidents, with residents calling for the restoration of the fire station because of lengthy response time.
When Guardian Media visited the temporary location yesterday, construction work was still ongoing.
Acting Assistant Chief Fire Officer Gary Sookdeo explained that the station was fully functional, with 28 officers and a fire tender from the recent batch of new trucks.
“We have re-established our presence in Princes Town. There has been quite some time since the original station located on High Street has been closed down. The presence of this fire station back in Princes Town will enable quicker response to serve the public,” he said.
Previously, Sookdeo recalled that stations from Mon Repos and Rio Claro would have responded to fire-related incidents in Princes Town and surrounding areas.
“We have re-established our presence here, all in an effort to serve, save life and property to the environs and burgesses,” he said.
Although the station was functional, Sookdeo said work was still ongoing on the construction of the appliance bay.
However, he said officers would be “quite comfortable” as the building is outfitted with the required necessities, including a dormitory.
Shortly after assuming office in May 2025, Homeland Security Minister Roger Alexander and Princes Town Member of Parliament Aiyna Ali toured the former station with fire officials and other stakeholders, promising to address the situation urgently.
In a telephone interview yesterday, Ali said her constituents were elated, noting that the return of fire services would bring relief, peace of mind and comfort not only to residents of Princes Town, but also those in Moruga/Tableland and Naparima.
“There is a faster response time now,” she said. However, Ali explained that work was being carried out simultaneously at the station’s former location to eventually return services there. She could not provide a cost or timeline for that project, nor the cost to refurbish the temporary facility.
