JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Fisherfolk give Farley until today to discuss new payment plan

by

Shastri Boodan
101 days ago
20241224

The All To­ba­go Fish­er­folk As­so­ci­a­tion (AT­FA) has giv­en the To­ba­go House of As­sem­bly 12 hours to en­ter in­to con­sul­ta­tion with them to dis­cuss the pay­ment of out­stand­ing monies owed to fish­er­folk for clean-up work done dur­ing the oil spill on To­ba­go’s South­ern coast in Feb­ru­ary.

AT­FA pres­i­dent Cur­tis Dou­glas de­liv­ered the ul­ti­ma­tum as he ac­cused THA Chief Sec­re­tary Far­ley Au­gus­tine of be­hav­ing like a dic­ta­tor and seek­ing to im­pose a pay­ment plan on the as­so­ci­a­tion with­out any dis­cus­sion, dur­ing a news con­fer­ence at the Tur­tle Beach Fish­ing Fa­cil­i­ty.

Last week, Au­gus­tine said fish­er­folk were paid just over $1.1 mil­lion for the work they did dur­ing the oil spill and ad­mit­ted that $5 mil­lion was still out­stand­ing. He de­nied claims that no mon­ey at all was giv­en to the as­so­ci­a­tion.

But yes­ter­day, Dou­glas said the re­cent an­nounce­ment by the Chief Sec­re­tary on the pay­ment sound­ed like a threat. He said if the THA does not re­spond by to­day (De­cem­ber 24) to dis­cuss how fish­er­folk will be paid some more mon­ey, AT­FA would move to take le­gal ac­tion.  

He said fish­er­men are un­hap­py.

Al­though the Chief Sec­re­tary said a $2 mil­lion pay­ment is be­ing processed and the re­main­ing $3 mil­lion will be paid in 2025, Dou­glas said this was not done in con­sul­ta­tion with fish­er­men.

Dou­glas claimed $50 mil­lion was re­leased by the Min­istry of Fi­nance in Ju­ly this year to pay con­trac­tors who worked on the re­cov­ery ef­fort, but monies were not be­ing fair­ly dis­trib­uted.

Dou­glas ac­cused Au­gus­tine of favour­ing con­trac­tors from Trinidad and a few from To­ba­go.

“Far­ley is a cur­ry man, he giv­ing a cur­ry favour to the con­trac­tors in Trinidad and al­so to cer­tain con­trac­tors in To­ba­go be­cause cer­tain con­trac­tors in To­ba­go get paid in full, but they eh start the same time with we, but they get paid in full.

“Peo­ple who came in af­ter AT­FA get paid in full, but hear what, yuh (re­fer­ring to Au­gus­tine) go­ing on na­tion­al tele­vi­sion and say­ing great is AT­FA, great is AT­FA, AT­FA do­ing a great job in mit­i­gat­ing the oil spill to make it hap­pen and yet still you want to dic­tate to us be­cause yuh name Chavez.”

Mean­while, the as­so­ci­a­tion pres­i­dent has called on Au­gus­tine and the THA not to pub­li­cise the amount of mon­ey to be paid to fish­er­folk any fur­ther, since it is putting their lives at risk.

Fish­er­man Jevon Bouch­er, of Gold­en Lane, who was one of the first re­spon­ders, claimed in March he was kid­napped by men.

“They think­ing like I have loads of mon­ey,” he said.

Bouch­er claimed he man­aged to es­cape from the trunk of the car he was snatched and bun­dled in­to. He said he was wor­ried about his safe­ty now that the pub­lic knows how much is owed to fish­er­men who took part in the clean-up ex­er­cise.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored