Senior Political Reporter
Letters of offer sent to several applicants for the Housing Development Corporation’s (HDC) Caura housing units have reportedly been voided, despite recipients having what Opposition PNM Senator Vishnu Dhanpaul described as “legitimate expectations” that the offers would be honoured.
Dhanpaul made the claim during Tuesday’s Senate debate on a Government land acquisition order involving lands on which the HDC’s Caura development is located.
He said the Caura project, initiated under the former PNM administration, comprised 100 townhouses priced between $950,000 and $1.1 million.
“Several individuals who met the initial criteria were interviewed. The 100 townhouses have already been allocated through letters of offer.
“These individuals with letters of offer will now have legitimate expectations that the offer will be honoured. However, we have been informed that these letters of offer have now been voided,” he said, claiming there were also reports of price increases.
Describing the situation as “a disturbing pattern,” Dhanpaul also cited a January 2026 letter from the HDC’s Asset Management Company Ltd to a prospective homeowner regarding a unit at the Carlsen Field housing development.
The letter, titled “Notification of Purchase Price Increase,” stated: “The corporation wishes to advise that pursuant to the board’s decision dated January 12, 2026, the purchase price for the above-mentioned unit has been revised. The purchase price has been increased from $575,000 to $750,000.”
According to Dhanpaul, the correspondence also said the revised price and terms outlined in the letter “are subject to strict compliance with the terms and conditions of the subsisting agreement for sale dated July 8, 2025, save and except for the variation of the purchase price as aforementioned.”
In winding up debate, Land and Legal Affairs Minister Saddam Hosein said when the Housing Minister addressed the issue in the Lower House recently, he indicated that the prices of the Caura units had not changed. Regarding claims that letters of offer had been voided, Hosein said only that the houses would be allocated in a “fair, transparent and equitable manner.”
