JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Heritage serves demolition notice on Fyzabad family

by

680 days ago
20230525
Azan Mohammed outside his home on Oil Well Road in Fyzabad, after the oil spill earlier this month.

Azan Mohammed outside his home on Oil Well Road in Fyzabad, after the oil spill earlier this month.

RISHI RAGOONATH

Sascha Wil­son

Se­nior Re­porter

sascha.wil­son@guardian.co.tt

The fam­i­ly ac­cused of en­croach­ing on Her­itage Pe­tro­le­um’s right-of-way at the site of the oil spill in Fyz­abad has been in­struct­ed to de­mol­ish any struc­tures in the path­way of the un­der­ground pipeline.

Azam Mo­hammed claimed that on Mon­day he was hand­ed a let­ter by com­pa­ny of­fi­cials when he re­turned to his home at Oil Well Road, Mas­sa­hood Junc­tion, where clean-up works are still on­go­ing.

Mo­hammed said, “This let­ter stat­ing that they com­ing Thurs­day, which is to­mor­row, to pin­point all which part they have to break down, oth­er­wise they give me 21 days to break down them thing,” he said.

While Mo­hammed ad­mit­ted that the pipeline runs be­tween his two hous­es, he said: “It ain’t have noth­ing to break down re­al­ly. The line out of the two hous­es.”

He ad­mit­ted that one of his hous­es is built less than a foot from the pipeline but claimed his fa­ther built the house more than six decades ago and paid rent for the land.

The Mo­hammed fam­i­ly was among nine fam­i­lies evac­u­at­ed to Paria Suites Ho­tel af­ter two leaks oc­curred along a 16-inch trunk pipeline on May 14, spilling crude oil in­to prop­er­ties and drains in the com­mu­ni­ty.

Six of the fam­i­lies re­turned to their homes last Fri­day. Mo­hammed, how­ev­er, said they have re­ceived no word about when he and his fam­i­ly will be giv­en the all-clear to re­turn home.

He in­sist­ed that the pipeline had been con­demned by Petrotrin but Her­itage re­cent­ly recom­mis­sioned the line, mak­ing the area un­safe for res­i­dents. Mo­hammed said his fam­i­ly is will­ing to be re­lo­cat­ed.

“Re­lo­ca­tion for the peo­ple is the best thing. All who around the line have to move from there, oth­er­wise they have to move the line,” he said.

At­tor­neys In­di­ra Bin­da, Vish­wanath Seecha­ran and Jesse Paul are now rep­re­sent­ing Mo­hammed and some of the oth­er af­fect­ed fam­i­lies. They met with some of the res­i­dents on Tues­day to ini­ti­ate le­gal pro­ceed­ings against Her­itage for com­pen­sa­tion.

One of the res­i­dents, Suresh Ram­sun­dar, said the com­pa­ny asked them to sign a doc­u­ment, but they re­fused.

“They want­ed we to sign a form that they wouldn’t stand no li­a­bil­i­ty for any dam­ages. None of we sign it, that is why we had to get the lawyer in­volved,” he said. How­ev­er, he was pleased with the com­pa­ny’s clean-up ef­forts.

Her­itage did not re­spond to re­quests for com­ment on these lat­est de­vel­op­ments.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored