JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Sunday, April 6, 2025

Laid-off workers crowd NIB for salary grants

by

1838 days ago
20200325
People wait in line outside the National Insurance Board (NIB) in San Fernando yesterday, to apply for salary relief grants.

People wait in line outside the National Insurance Board (NIB) in San Fernando yesterday, to apply for salary relief grants.

RISHI RAGOONATH

SASCHA WIL­SON

Scores of peo­ple turned up in front of the Na­tion­al In­sur­ance Board of T&T (NIBTT) in San Fer­nan­do yes­ter­day seek­ing to ap­ply for the salary re­lief grant for work­ers who lost their jobs as a re­sult of mea­sures to re­duce the spread of COVID-19.

Fi­nance Min­is­ter Colm Im­bert on Mon­day an­nounced that peo­ple who lost their jobs will be able to ac­cess a grant of $1,500 a month for three months.

When con­tact­ed yes­ter­day, NIBTT in­formed Guardian Me­dia that the grant was not yet avail­able to mem­bers of the pub­lic.

“Please do not vis­it our of­fices to en­quire about this fa­cil­i­ty, as large gath­er­ings pose a se­ri­ous risk to our em­ploy­ees, cus­tomers and mem­bers of the pub­lic,” stat­ed NIBTT in a sub­se­quent me­dia re­lease.

NIBTT, how­ev­er, as­sured that “as soon as this fa­cil­i­ty is avail­able and op­er­a­tional­ized, fur­ther pub­lic com­mu­ni­ca­tion by the or­ga­ni­za­tion will fol­low.”

From ear­ly yes­ter­day morn­ing, peo­ple gath­ered at the front gate, the ma­jor­i­ty want­i­ng to ap­ply for the grant.

Around 9.30 am, more than ten peo­ple were still in front of the build­ing, some stand­ing at the gate while oth­ers stood on the op­po­site side of the road. On­ly four cus­tomers were al­lowed in­to the build­ing at a time.

A 38-year-old store clerk from Bar­rack­pore who was sent home two weeks ago said she had been wait­ing for more than a half an hour. “My boss­es not telling me whether they will give me two or three days a week (work). So when I heard that the min­is­ter is go­ing to give $1,500 a month to peo­ple who are lose their work I came this morn­ing to see what help I could get.”

How­ev­er, she com­plained that she was em­ployed at the store for a year, but her em­ploy­er failed to pay her NIS con­tri­bu­tions. “I brought all my doc­u­ments and re­ceipts where I use to pay NIS from the oth­er jobs I work and I hop­ing I could get some kind of help.” Agnes Lo­gan, 64, said she was wait­ing more than an hour to col­lect a form.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored