Local Government and Rural Development Minister Khadijah Ameen has confirmed that most of the backlog in payments to workers under the National Programme for the Upkeep of Public Spaces (NPUPS) has been cleared.
However, the minister has not confirmed how many of the programme’s more than 1,600 workers have received their outstanding wages.
The development follows weeks of complaints from NPUPS workers about delayed payments, with some saying they had gone without wages for several weeks.
Ameen told Guardian Media that the Permanent Secretary has agreed to introduce a digital system to manage the programme’s payroll. She said the system should help prevent late payments in the future.
Despite the payment problems, Ameen said NPUPS workers continue to be productive.
For August, she said workers are focusing on schools, particularly early childhood centres.
“I must say a heartfelt appreciation for their dedication,” Ameen said.
NPUPS replaced the Community-based Environmental Protection and Enhancement Programme (CEPEP) and the Unemployment Relief Programme (URP).
The programme is currently scheduled to end on September 13, with its future expected to be determined after the national budget.
Ameen has previously indicated that she hopes NPUPS will continue, although no final decision has been announced. The minister’s latest comments did not specify when the digital payroll system will be implemented.
