For the past two weeks, Guardian Media Investigations Desk has looked at police-involved killings following the January shooting of Joshua Samaroo.
Reports revealed that in 2025, when T&T was in a State of Emergency (SoE) from the start to the end of the year, the country had the highest number of police involved killings at 55.
In the case of the fatal police shootings of Fabian Richards-21, Isaiah Roberts-17 and Leonardo Williams-17 in 2022, their case has gone cold as families continue to be in the dark with the TTPS’ investigation.
But what happens if you’re just a bystander?
That is Nathan’s Pierre’s story.
Senior Investigative Reporter
shaliza.hassanali@guardian.co.tt
Nathan Pierre walked into Courts one day to buy a television and never walked again.
For the past 26 months, Pierre, 34, has been confined to a wheelchair after being struck by a stray bullet that was discharged from the gun of a police constable in the carpark of Courts Mega Store in El Socorro on December 17, 2023.
He now survives on a monthly $2,000 disability grant from the Ministry of the People, Social Development and Family Services, which barely pays his bills, buys groceries, sends his children to school and purchases his medication and medical supplies.
Regarded as the pillar of the family, Pierre’s life has now taken a different course and a downward spiral.
Pierre wondered if Kaia Sealy, who became paralysed following a police involved shooting last month, would endure a similar fate.
Sealy was shot multiple times in a car driven by her boyfriend Joshua Samaroo, who was killed by police officers, which sparked public outrage after a video began circulating on social media.
Sealy is still seeking medical care in the hospital for her paralysis and wounds.
When Pierre saw the video, it brought back memories of his incident.
“Them police… they ruthless. Shoot first and ask questions after. They cover up for one another,” Pierre alleged.
Pierre said it’s left to be seen if justice will prevail.
Life of struggle
Pierre, a father of two, said that he has been suffering since the shooting, through no fault of his own.
He spoke to Guardian Media at his Mango Alley, Laventille home last week.
The bullet pierced Pierre’s back, broke two ribs, damaged his kidneys, severed his spinal cord and remained lodged in his right shoulder.
He was one of four people shot in the carpark, two of whom died.
The victims were siblings Sinaya and Simeon Lessey.
He complained that the disability grant he receives can barely maintain himself.
Every month, Pierre spends approximately $1,500 on painkillers, pampers, gauze, surgical tape, gloves, saline, inco pads, cotton and wipes to treat his five bed sores on his back, which he developed last year.
The deep sores are stuffed with cotton and covered with layers of gauze by Pierre’s common-law wife, Sherice Lawrence, to make him feel comfortable.
Lawrence uses 75-gauze strips on Pierre’s back.
“Each strip costs over $1. So that is close to $100 we spend on gauze alone.”
One sore is near his tailbone.
“It is really bad…when you clean it, you can see part of his spine,” said Lawrence.
The remaining $500 has to pay Pierre’s bills, buy foodstuff and send his children, ages nine and six, to school.
“That money is not doing nothing,” he said.
He said when he came out of emergency surgery, the doctors told him he would never walk again.
“Those words continue to haunt me. To me, it’s hard to digest and accept.”
Every day, Pierre asks himself, “Why this happened to me? What did I do to deserve this?”
He knows there are no answers to his questions.
Lawrence said getting Pierre to the hospital to attend clinic has also been challenging and frustrating.
Lawrence would have to use all her strength to push Pierre’s wheelchair along a narrow dirt track out to Trou Macaque Road to get a taxi.
Most times, taxi drivers refuse to pick him up.
Pierre spends his day in front of the house overlooking the capital city.
Pierre said he loved the outdoors and spending time with his children, who adored him.
“I often take them to play in public places. But this has since stopped. It’s not only me who suffering, them children feeling it too.”
Appeal to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CICB) for financial assistance
Two years ago, Pierre applied to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CICB) for financial assistance, but is still awaiting feedback.
The CICB was created in 1999 to provide financial relief to victims of violent crimes and their dependents to rebuild their lives.
Unable to urinate on his own, Pierre uses a catheter bag.
During the interview, Pierre had to pause for several minutes because of his laboured breathing.
For her part, Lawrence said that she recently started attending an office assistant course offered by the Youth Training and Employment Partnership Programme, with the hope of gaining employment to help with their financial constraints.
She knows her role as a housewife and caregiver must change to that of a main provider to keep their family afloat.
Weeks before the shooting, Pierre had established his own plumbing company and secured his first contract.
“Life was looking up for me,” he recalled.
The family was renting in Arima and moved into Laventille to make a fresh start.
What was lacking in the house, Pierre said, was a television set, which would have been a perfect Christmas gift for his family, and he decided to go to the furniture store to buy the item.
“I never thought walking into Courts’ carpark would have changed the course of my life. I was the sole breadwinner in the family. Now I feel emasculated knowing I can’t do anything to maintain my children and Sherice. I was always an active person. I have been reduced to nothing. The only way I’m seeing my future is in this chair and on a bed,” Pierre said, as he tried hard to contain his emotion.
PCA still investigating
Police constable Sidney Roberts, 34, of the Homicide Bureau of Investigations, was charged with the murders and shooting with intent to do grievous bodily harm.
Director of the Police Complaints Authority (PCA) David West confirmed that the authority “is investigating the matter” involving the shooting.
“Witness statements were taken, and medical reports received. Nothing from the Forensic Science Centre as yet.”
West said the PCA also obtained CCTV footage.
Laventille West MP Kareem Marcelle said he would have his team reach out to Pierre to assess his situation, “and see in terms of legal advice what we can offer.”
Marcelle promised to visit Pierre to help him in whatever way possible.
On Thursday, Guardian Media contacted the CICB and left a number for its chairman, Alvin Pascall, to contact this reporter, but he did not respond.
This newspaper also enquired about the status of Pierre’s application.
An employee who identified herself as Miss Mohammed said Pierre’s application was confidential.
The CICB was created by Act 21 of 1999 and proclaimed in November 2000 to provide financial relief to victims of violent crimes and their dependents who rely on this assistance to rebuild their lives.
Next month, the board’s three-year term will end.
A 2022/2023 CICB report stated that during 2023, the board received 155 cases for determination.
Of this figure, the board approved 142 applications amounting to $2,053,174.48.
It also stated that July 2023 recorded the highest monthly award of $413,500, while September recorded the highest number of cheques issued, 69.
In 2022, a total of 203 cases were submitted, of which 159 were approved, totalling $1.7 million.
The 88-page report stated that at the close of the fiscal year, September 30, 2023, CICB’s overall applications were 2,608, with a total payment of $22,221,675.47
State made to pay
But the state has been made to pay compensation to victims of police shootings before.
In July 2024, the state was ordered to pay over $400,000 to fire officer Roosevelt Gaspard, who was left paralysed following a police shooting in San Juan.
Justice Devindra Rampersad, in 2021, awarded $230,000 in compensation to Afisha Williams, the partner of a Gonzales landscaper who was shot by police.
In 2017, Thomas died of gunshot wounds, which were not related to the 2014 incident.
Mistakenly shot in his buttocks by a police officer who was attempting to apprehend a group of bandits in 2016, Marabella resident Kendell Wright received over $100,000 in compensation.
