National Energy is still trying to collect millions in disputed port fees from Canadian fertiliser giant Nutrien, even though the company’s Point Lisas nitrogen plant has been shut down since October last year.
Guardian Media confirmed through sources that a fresh letter was sent earlier this month again demanding payment of outstanding port charges. This time, however, the bill appears to have been reduced.
Instead of the original US$28 million ( around TT$190 million ) National Energy is now seeking TT$157 million, or roughly US$23 million, in fees dating back to September last year.
In other words, National Energy now appears willing to accept the payments closer to the old port rates Nutrien had been paying before chairman Gerald Ramdeen reportedly increased the fees and attempted to retroactively apply them.
Last week, Guardian Media reported Nutrien Ltd is exploring the possible sale of its Trinidad nitrogen facility as part of a wider strategic review of underperforming assets.
Guardian Media obtained an internal memo circulated to staff following the company’s quarterly earnings release and conference call.
In the memo, Nutrien Trinidad vice-president and managing director Edmund Thompson confirmed the company is reviewing “all strategic options” for its Trinidad nitrogen operations, including a potential sale.
“As shared publicly, Nutrien continues to evaluate all strategic options for our Trinidad Nitrogen operations. This review considers a full range of alternatives, including the exploration of a potential sale of the facility. There is no predetermined outcome, and no decisions have been made,” the memo stated.
Guardian Media understands National Energy’s latest letter directly references reports of a possible divestment.
According to sources familiar with the correspondence who were not authorised to speak publicly, the letter warns that any purchaser of the facility would inherit the outstanding port fees allegedly owed by Nutrien.
The two companies have been locked in a stalemate for months over the controversial port charges, with Nutrien maintaining it has no intention of paying what insiders described as “extortion-like” fees.
Neither company officially commented on the latest letter.
National Energy told Guardian Media: “National Energy Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago Limited (National Energy) respects its duty of confidentiality in relation to its commercial dealings. Your question invites National Energy Corporation to breach its confidentiality obligations to which it respectfully declines.”
Nutrien did not respond to requests for comment.
The company shut down the Point Lisas nitrogen facility on October 23, 2025.
In its first-quarter 2026 financial report released Wednesday, Nutrien confirmed there has been “no production from the Trinidad and New Madrid facilities” since the controlled shutdown.
The company said it is “progressing as planned with the review of strategic alternatives for our phosphate business, Trinidad nitrogen facility, and Brazilian retail business with a focus on enhancing earnings quality and free cash flow.”
Nutrien did not specify what those alternatives may involve, though such reviews often include possible sales, restructuring, partnerships, or permanent closures.
Despite the closure of the Trinidad operation, Nutrien still posted a sharp increase in first-quarter profits.
