JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Sunday, April 6, 2025

NWRHA gets another legal letter over baby’s death

Attorneys: Come clean on medical records

by

Shane Superville
349 days ago
20240422

At­tor­neys rep­re­sent­ing the par­ents of ba­by Amelia Williams are call­ing for full dis­clo­sure on what if any changes were made to de­tails con­tained in her med­ical records.

These con­cerns and oth­ers were raised in a 14-page pre-ac­tion pro­to­col let­ter sent to the North-West Re­gion­al Health Au­thor­i­ty (NWRHA) yes­ter­day, fol­low­ing the child’s death at the Port-of-Spain Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal ear­li­er this month.

Ba­by Amelia died on April 2 from a sus­pect­ed bac­te­r­i­al in­fec­tion and was one of 11 ba­bies who died from sim­i­lar cir­cum­stances at the PoS­GH’s Neona­tal In­ten­sive Care Unit (NICU) be­tween Feb­ru­ary and April.

The let­ter, which was sent by at­tor­ney Sue Ann De­osaran, of Free­dom Law Cham­bers, not­ed that while the NWRHA had pro­vid­ed med­ical records on sev­en of the 11 ba­bies who have died, they were un­clear on why the doc­u­ments on the re­main­ing four in­fants were not pro­vid­ed.

“No ex­pla­na­tion has, how­ev­er, been pro­vid­ed as to why the med­ical records for the first three ba­bies who died be­fore these sev­en ba­bies, and the one ba­by who died af­ter, con­tin­ue to be sup­pressed and with­held by the NWRHA,” the let­ter read.

“The med­ical records we are in re­ceipt of to date are not in any way vo­lu­mi­nous and we are at a loss to un­der­stand why it would have tak­en the NWRHA so long to scan and email same to us.”

In a me­dia re­lease on Sat­ur­day, the NWRHA as­sured that the NICU con­tin­ued to func­tion, adding that sev­er­al pieces of “mis­in­for­ma­tion” had been cir­cu­lat­ed in pub­lic and they were un­able to cor­rect such state­ments.

How­ev­er, De­osaran, in the let­ter, said her clients, who in­clude the par­ents of oth­er ba­bies, be­lieved the fail­ure of the NWRHA to pro­vide the doc­u­ments was part of a wider plot to sup­press in­for­ma­tion from sur­fac­ing.

“How­ev­er you twist it, cut it or dis­sect it, our clients and in­deed the wider pop­u­la­tion can­not be tricked in­to be­liev­ing that it would take more than 57 days to pho­to­copy, scan and email the med­ical records for ba­by Kyrie George Bha­gan who died since Feb­ru­ary 22nd 2024,” De­osaran.

“Re­gard­less of the lev­el of in­com­pe­tence and mis­man­age­ment at the NWRHA, this sim­ple ex­er­cise would not take more than two to three hours.”

On Fri­day, it was re­port­ed that the NWRHA’s In­fec­tion Pre­ven­tion and Con­trol head, Dr Dar­rel Jones, was sent on ad­min­is­tra­tive leave pend­ing the out­come of in­ves­ti­ga­tion in­to the death of the ba­bies.

How­ev­er, De­osaran said, her clients con­sid­ered this a “to­ken ges­ture” and be­lieved that those in­volved may still be on du­ty with ac­cess to notes and records.

Re­fer­ring to the death of Skiye Samuel on April 9, De­osaran called for an­swers on why the cause of death list­ed was changed from sep­sis to pre­sumed sep­sis.

The let­ter sought an­swers to ques­tions re­lat­ing to who had ac­cess to the ba­bies’ med­ical records, what changes were made to the con­tents of the records, who au­tho­rised the changes and why par­ents were not no­ti­fied of these changes.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored