JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Pandemic a major theme at traditional mas event

by

Sharlene Rampersad
1139 days ago
20220220

From go­ril­las in full PPE to Blue Dev­ils with res­pi­ra­tors and a new vari­ant of the COVID-19 virus, the pan­dem­ic played a ma­jor role in this year’s Tra­di­tion­al Mas In­di­vid­u­als com­pe­ti­tion yes­ter­day.

How­ev­er, the event, held at Car­ni­val City in the Queen’s Park Sa­van­nah, Port-of-Spain, did not draw a large crowd of spec­ta­tors as many ex­pect­ed. The event al­so in­clud­ed the Con­ven­tion­al Mas In­di­vid­u­als com­pe­ti­tion.

Trinidad and To­ba­go Car­ni­val Bands As­so­ci­a­tion (TTC­BA) pres­i­dent and Na­tion­al Car­ni­val Com­mis­sion (NCC) com­mis­sion­er Ros­alind Gabriel told Guardian Me­dia she was very dis­ap­point­ed with the small num­ber of peo­ple who turned up to wit­ness one of the tra­di­tion­al as­pects of this year’s Taste of Car­ni­val.

“I don’t know what else could have been done, be­cause when I was asked what fee I would charge be­cause it’s a TTC­BA event, I said no fee, free. So if they not even com­ing out to see an event for free, then it’s dis­ap­point­ing,” Gabriel said.

How­ev­er, she was over­joyed to see mas on dis­play once more in the Sa­van­nah.

“I am over­joyed, we tried hard to make sure this hap­pened and all the mas­quer­aders who are here, they are very very hap­py to be here. I have tried re­al­ly hard, the TTC­BA, to make sure this came off. I think it’s very im­por­tant for us to get our feet wet this year, in prepa­ra­tion for 2023.”

She said the small au­di­ence turnout was not as im­por­tant as giv­ing mas­quer­aders an op­por­tu­ni­ty to por­tray their char­ac­ters on stage.

“The im­por­tant thing is that the mas­quer­aders are get­ting a chance to com­pete for prizes, which is im­por­tant for them. They haven’t worked for two years,” Gabriel said.

She re­mains op­ti­mistic, how­ev­er, that more peo­ple will turn out to sup­port the mas­quer­aders for the Kings and Queens com­pe­ti­tion to­mor­row (Feb­ru­ary 22.)

“I know there will prob­a­bly be a big­ger turnout for the Kings and Queens and all in­di­ca­tors so far point to that.”

Among the ap­prox­i­mate­ly 100 au­di­ence mem­bers were two vet­er­an mas­men who seemed to be en­joy­ing the dis­plays put on by the mas­quer­aders.

Chris San­tos, a de­sign­er from Care­nage, said he was hop­ing to see more char­ac­ters on stage.

“I felt there were too few cos­tumes com­ing out but I am en­joy­ing it, I thought a lot of the tra­di­tion­al peo­ple would have come out but it’s on­ly a few, that’s my on­ly dis­ap­point­ment but I am en­joy­ing it,” San­tos said.

He said he was not wor­ried about be­ing part of the crowd, as the safe zone guide­lines were strict­ly ad­hered to and au­di­ence mem­bers were screened be­fore en­ter­ing the venue.

“It’s very good, they check you, check your ID, your vac­ci­na­tion cer­tifi­cate, tem­per­a­ture and sani­tise, can’t ask for more,” San­tos said.

He too lament­ed at the poor turnout of spec­ta­tors.

“I have been in it for many years so I want­ed to give them sup­port. I am re­al­ly dis­ap­point­ed we didn’t have more par­tic­i­pa­tion, peo­ple should have come out to see it.”

Al­though San­tos did not de­sign any cos­tumes this year, he was pleased with the of­fer­ings that crossed the stage, clap­ping and cheer­ing the mas­quer­aders on.

Fel­low mas­man and a for­mer Car­ni­val King Gre­go­ry Med­i­na mean­while said he be­lieved fear amongst the pop­u­la­tion kept spec­ta­tors away from the event.

“There are a lot of peo­ple who who have reser­va­tions and fears, some un­found­ed and some down­right strange, even seem­ing­ly ed­u­cat­ed peo­ple give you the weird­est of ar­gu­ments of why it shouldn’t be. But it is Car­ni­val and they are giv­ing you a chance to do some­thing, come out, par­tic­i­pate and help, but it doesn’t seem as though it is trick­ling through to the pop­u­la­tion at all,” Med­i­na said.

He said the con­fu­sion that en­sued in the days lead­ing up to the re­lease of the sched­ule of events con­fused many, es­pe­cial­ly af­ter NCC chair­man Win­ston “Gyp­sy” Pe­ters an­nounced one bud­get - of $30 mil­lion - and days lat­er, the Min­istry of Cul­ture an­nounced the ap­proved bud­get was ac­tu­al­ly $15 mil­lion.

“The things (pods) were al­ready built, the con­trac­tors were al­ready paid and now you are dis­cussing what bud­get is al­lo­cat­ed, that’s is what I sup­pose turned off a lot of peo­ple,” Med­i­na said.

De­spite his reser­va­tions, Med­i­na said he was thor­ough­ly en­joy­ing the Taste of Car­ni­val and is al­ready look­ing for­ward to next year’s event.

“I hope that 2023 come quick­ly and it’s well or­gan­ised and it’s ex­plo­sive-we could re­al­ly look for­ward to that,” he said.

Guardian Me­dia al­so spoke to sev­er­al of the mas­quer­aders be­fore they took to the stage to show off their cos­tumes.

Jer­rell Jones, who por­trayed the “Book­man,” was very ex­cit­ed for the chance to cross the stage.

He said he had hoped there would be more par­tic­i­pants in the com­pe­ti­tion but said that did not damp­en his good feel­ings.

Out­fit­ted in the daz­zling “Azul Drag­on” cos­tume, Jochelle Quashie was al­so ex­cit­ed.

“I’m so ex­cit­ed. The oth­er par­tic­i­pants looked good, some out­stand­ing and im­pres­sive, I look out­stand­ing and im­pres­sive too,” he said with a grin.

As Quashie pre­pared to take the stage, the self-pro­claimed new COVID vari­ant - a cross be­tween a go­ril­la and a bat, queued up be­hind him. Travis Mc Neil­ly, who por­trayed the strange char­ac­ter, said he had come from Point Fortin to take part in the event.

Mc Neil­ly said he was por­tray­ing the Go­ril­la-Bat - and he al­so had a ba­by Go­ril­la-Bat tucked in a pouch in the front of his cos­tume, Kan­ga­roo-style.

“I feel ex­cit­ed af­ter be­ing locked down for al­most two years, my cos­tume was built in a hur­ry but I still came out to en­joy my­self to the best and see where I could place in the com­pe­ti­tion this year. I am very grate­ful for the Taste of Car­ni­val that gives us an op­por­tu­ni­ty to come out and por­tray our mas, we are grate­ful to the Prime Min­is­ter,” Mc Neil­ly said.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored