JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

PM holding his own after positive COVID test

by

Gail Alexander
1458 days ago
20210407
Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley is given an elbow bounce by an unidentified man on his arrival to the PNM’s Spiritual  Shouter Baptist Liberation Day celebration at the Government Campus Plaza Auditorium in Port-of-Spain, on March 27.

Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley is given an elbow bounce by an unidentified man on his arrival to the PNM’s Spiritual Shouter Baptist Liberation Day celebration at the Government Campus Plaza Auditorium in Port-of-Spain, on March 27.

ANISTO ALVES

Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley is said to be “hold­ing his own” af­ter test­ing pos­i­tive for COVID-19 yes­ter­day.

Row­ley ex­pe­ri­enced flu-like symp­toms on Mon­day and was sub­se­quent­ly test­ed for COVID-19, with the test com­ing back pos­i­tive.

Yes­ter­day, Row­ley was said to be in iso­la­tion and un­der med­ical su­per­vi­sion at an undis­closed lo­ca­tion in To­ba­go.

The PM’s pos­i­tive COVID test came on the day when the long-await­ed na­tion­al vac­cine roll­out be­gan, when Row­ley him­self was ini­tial­ly sched­uled to be vac­ci­nat­ed.

Yes­ter­day, how­ev­er, Row­ley as­sured Guardian Me­dia that none of his Cab­i­net Min­is­ters had been ex­posed to the virus, at least not by him.

“I have not been in the pres­ence of any Min­is­ter for the last two weeks,” Row­ley told Guardian Me­dia in re­sponse to ques­tions about oth­er Cab­i­net min­is­ters pos­si­bly be­ing ex­posed.

Row­ley was, how­ev­er, at a news con­fer­ence with Min­is­ter of Health Ter­rence Deyals­ingh last Tues­day, when he warned the coun­try that there could be an­oth­er lock­down if the spike in num­bers of COVID cas­es con­tin­ued.

Deyals­ingh re­ceived his sched­uled As­traZeneca jab yes­ter­day, as did Pres­i­dent Paula-Mae Weekes and her 92-year-old moth­er.

Yes­ter­day, the Min­istry of Health re­port­ed 22 new COVID cas­es. The PM was one of those new cas­es.

Chief Med­ical Of­fi­cer Dr Roshan Paras­ram said yes­ter­day that ac­cord­ing to World Health Or­ga­ni­za­tion pro­to­cols, Row­ley will now have to wait up to six months be­fore be­ing in­oc­u­lat­ed be­cause of his in­fec­tion.

Gov­ern­ment sources yes­ter­day said Row­ley had spo­ken to some peo­ple yes­ter­day morn­ing, had sound­ed strong and was “hold­ing his own.”

The Of­fice of the Prime Min­is­ter an­nounced his pos­i­tive test yes­ter­day morn­ing. His ill­ness fol­lowed a re­cent surge in COVID cas­es across the coun­try.

Not­ing the sit­u­a­tion and in­for­ma­tion that many peo­ple were plan­ning East­er hol­i­day-mak­ing and To­ba­go was due to ex­pe­ri­ence large num­bers of vis­i­tors for the East­er week­end, Row­ley had last week told cit­i­zens to fol­low COVID pro­to­cols, say­ing “You have been warned!”

Row­ley’s said to have gone to To­ba­go last Tues­day.

Gov­ern­ment hasn’t said where he is but sources said he was at his Ma­son Hall farm up to re­cent­ly. Of­fi­cials said pri­ma­ry and sec­ondary con­tact trac­ing is be­ing done in Trinidad as well as in To­ba­go.

Sources said Row­ley “took in” on Mon­day night but was “up yes­ter­day morn­ing talk­ing and sound­ing nor­mal.”

It was al­so an­nounced that To­ba­go House of As­sem­bly Chief Sec­re­tary An­cil Den­nis has been quar­an­tined un­til April 16 af­ter be­ing ex­posed on Good Fri­day to the pri­ma­ry con­tact of a re­cent COVID case.

This is the sec­ond re­cent health is­sue for Row­ley, 71, in the last three months. On Jan­u­ary 8, he was hos­pi­talised at the West­shore Pri­vate Hos­pi­tal in Co­corite af­ter hav­ing dis­com­fort and chest pains. He sub­se­quent­ly had an an­giogram and an­gio­plas­ty and was sent home on Jan­u­ary 10. He chaired a Cari­com lead­ers’ vir­tu­al con­fer­ence the day af­ter.

Over 2016 to 2019, Row­ley al­so had suc­cess­ful prostate and heart tests in the Unit­ed States - but was warned about soft plaque in an artery. It was ex­pect­ed he’d have a check-up in ear­ly 2020 but bor­ders were closed af­ter COVID-19 hit in March 2020.

Yes­ter­day, Peo­ple’s Na­tion­al Move­ment Women’s League head Camille Robin­son-Reg­is called on the na­tion to keep the PM in their prayers.

“We ask that the na­tion lift the ho­n­ourable leader of this coun­try up in prayer,” she said in a press re­lease.

She al­so called for a na­tion­al day of prayer, not­ing Row­ley had once asked for such a day.

“The PNM Women’s League wish­es the Prime Min­is­ter and po­lit­i­cal leader a speedy re­cov­ery and is con­fi­dent that stel­lar med­ical care will be pro­vid­ed by the na­tion’s doc­tors,” Robin­son-Reg­is said.

“We urge the cit­i­zen­ry to con­tin­ue to be vig­i­lant in this fight against COVID-19. We re­mind each and every­one to prac­tice so­cial dis­tanc­ing and to wear masks as rec­om­mend­ed. To those el­i­gi­ble for the vac­cine, we re­mind you to take the nec­es­sary steps to en­sure you make an ap­point­ment to re­ceive it.”

At­tor­ney Gen­er­al Faris Al-Rawi added, “All of us in the PNM, San Fer­nan­do West and the AG’s Of­fice send the Prime Min­is­ter love and prayers for quick re­cov­ery. We ask the Lord to keep him safe.

“He’s a front­line work­er and we of­ten take for grant­ed the ex­tent of the pub­lic in­ter­ac­tion he’s called up­on to do in the per­for­mance of his du­ties and which he’s done with vi­bran­cy and gus­to in these very dif­fi­cult times.”

PNM PRO Lau­rel Leza­ma-Lee Sing, in the par­ty’s mes­sage, said the par­ty “lifts the Prime Min­is­ter up in love ... our leader has re­peat­ed­ly em­pha­sised the virus doesn’t dis­crim­i­nate be­tween par­ty mem­ber­ship, so­cial sta­tus, pro­fes­sion, age or any oth­er so­cial de­mo­graph­ic or con­struct.”

Greet­ings al­so came from World Health Or­gan­i­sa­tion head Dr Tedros Ad­hanom Ghe­breye­sus Bar­ba­dos Prime Min­is­ter Mia Mot­t­ley, who al­so alert­ed the WHO of Cari­com chair­man Row­ley’s ill­ness and British High Com­mis­sion­er Har­ri­et Cross.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored