Senior Reporter
jesse.ramdeo@cnc3.co.tt
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar is rejecting calls by the Steel Workers’ Union of T&T (SWUTT) for a chance at input in the reopening of the former ArcelorMittal steel plant in Point Lisas by Ibis Steel Company, saying the US-backed company is free to hire any citizen it considers suitable.
“Mr (Timothy) Bailey and his union had ten years to take over the plant or get an investor and failed to do so. My job is to bring investment to our country, if some citizens want to chase out investors, so be it, its their and their children’s futures that they are destroying, not mine or the foreign investors,” Persad-Bissessar said yesterday in response to the union’s calls at a media conference earlier.
The Prime Minister said the US-based Pinnacle Steel and Vanadium is a private company and there is no basis for restricting employment opportunities at its proposed Ibis Steel Company plant to former steel workers.
“Every citizen looking for employment is entitled to apply to them for jobs,” Persad-Bissessar said.
Last Monday, Ibis Steel officially kicked off site refurbishment while announcing plans to pump an overall US$750 million into the development, with the potential to generate up to 1,000 permanent jobs.
Yesterday, the Prime Minister said it would be unfair to other citizens seeking employment if opportunities at the plant were reserved exclusively for former steel workers. She also rejected the union’s position that it should be treated as a stakeholder in the project.
“Further, the steel workers union and Mr Bailey are not stakeholders in that project so there is no need for either myself or Pinnacle Steel to engage with them,” she said.
Persad-Bissessar’s response came hours after SWUTT president Timothy Bailey called for dialogue with Government and the new plant owners, warning that the union wanted outstanding issues concerning former steel workers resolved amicably rather than through legal action.
Speaking at the union’s Couva headquarters, Bailey said while they welcomed the reopening of the steel industry and the potential for investment and sustainable employment, the workers who built the industry over four decades cannot be left out of its revival. He said the union was prepared to collaborate with the new owners, despite feeling “frozen out” and “slighted” as a key stakeholder in the reopening of the plant.
He said the union had deliberately allowed last week’s ribbon-cutting ceremony to take place without publicly raising its concerns, but believes it is now time for the workers to have their say.
“The reopening of the steel plant cannot and does not mean that doors must be closed on the people that built it,” Bailey said.
He said the SWUTT has represented workers throughout the industry since 1980 and that expertise should be part of the reopening process. Bailey also stressed that the union is not opposed to the new owners.
“We are not monsters. We are open to collaboration, we are open to cooperation,” he said.
He said the union was prepared to “forgive” what it considers its exclusion from the initial process and move forward, but insisted the right approach must now be adopted.
He said more than 2,000 steel workers were displaced following the closure of the industry, including 644 permanent ArcelorMittal workers and employees of contractors who had spent decades working at the plant.
Bailey said more than 45 per cent of the union’s former steel workers are prepared to return to the facility and the union has already compiled information on their skills, areas of expertise and previous departments.
He argued that this represents an important resource for the new owners as they rebuild the operation.
But one of the union’s biggest concerns remains the unresolved liquidation process involving the former owner, ArcelorMittal.
Bailey said Christopher Kelshall was appointed liquidator in 2016 and questioned the current status of the process.
He said attempts to contact Kelshall have been unsuccessful, despite having previously used his contact information for years. The union is also demanding clarity on the status of former workers who are creditors in the liquidation process and are owed outstanding debts.
With the plant now reportedly under new ownership, Bailey wants to know what arrangements have been made to address those outstanding claims. He is also calling on the Government to clarify whether former steel workers will be recognised for collective bargaining purposes and whether proposed amendments to the Retrenchment, Severance and Benefit Act will be brought into force.
Bailey said legislation had been passed in the Senate under Labour Minister Leroy Baptiste but had not yet reached the Lower House. He argued that had the proposed legislation been in place in 2016, workers who lost their jobs when ArcelorMittal shut down the plant could have benefited.
He said the union has written to Persad-Bissessar on several occasions, including since she entered Government, seeking engagement on the future of the steel industry. He said correspondence sent recently was acknowledged by the Prime Minister’s office, but he was uncertain whether the letters reached her personally. He made a direct appeal for a meeting with the PM.
