Senior Multimedia Reporter
radhica.sookraj@guardian.co.tt
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar yesterday returned to the community where she once sold vegetables as a child to deliver the first batch of artificial-intelligence-enabled laptops to students, urging them to use the devices as a “window to the world.”
Speaking at Penal Secondary School, Persad-Bissessar said the distribution marked the renewal of the “Learning Without Limits—A Laptop for Every Child” programme.
“This is my constituency for more than 30 years, my hometown, the soil where my childhood footsteps were formed,” she said.
“Children are the world’s most valuable resource and its best hope for the future.”
She told students the initiative is part of a wider national effort to expand digital access.
“Promise made. Promise kept. Today, promise delivered,” she said to loud applause.
The Prime Minister noted that 18,000 Form One students will receive laptops this year through a partnership involving several ministries and national agencies.
Her earlier administration delivered laptops and ICT tools between 2010 and 2015 before the programme was later discontinued.
Persad-Bissessar said the new phase builds on the original plan and aims to support students, teachers, and schools with training, connectivity, and accessibility devices.
“This initiative is not just about devices,” she said.
“It strengthens Trinidad and Tobago across digital equity, learning beyond the classroom, a future-ready workforce, national resilience, and national unity.”
She urged students to care for the devices.
“This laptop is not a toy. It is your gateway to knowledge and opportunity.”
The Prime Minister said the launch fulfilled a commitment made earlier this year that students entering secondary school after April 28 would receive laptops. Standing in Penal, she said the distribution connected her own early experiences with the goals of the programme.
“It feels fitting to declare the Learning Without Limits, Laptop for Every Child initiative open,” she said.
Meanwhile, Education Minister Dr Michael Dowlath announced that all laptops under the Government’s Form One distribution programme will arrive before December 23, completing the delivery of 18,000 AI-enabled devices.
He revealed that 2,500 laptops have already been delivered, another 8,500 will arrive on December 3, and the remaining 7,000 will be in the country by December 23. He noted that the distribution schedule will be shared with parents as the rollout continues, following the first handover at Penal Secondary where 168 students received devices.
“These laptops mark the restart of a national technological effort aimed at expanding access to education,” he said.
