GAIL ALEXANDER
Senior Political Reporter
Despite People's National Movement (PNM) chairman Marvin Gonzales' warning that public exchanges of allegations and counter-allegations would not resolve the issues facing the party's San Fernando East constituency, the constituency executive last night issued a sharply worded statement criticising MP Brian Manning, including on his performance as the area's representative.
The executive, headed by Patricia Alexis, also invoked the legacy of former prime minister Patrick Manning.
"The late Hon. Patrick Manning's legacy was earned through discipline, service, accessibility and performance. That legacy cannot be reduced to a surname, nor can it be used as a shield against accountability. Heritage isn't a substitute for leadership," the statement said.
The dispute surfaced in June when Manning wrote to the PNM leadership outlining concerns raised by members about constituency matters, many of them involving Alexis. The issues were subsequently investigated by a party-appointed team, which submitted a report. The party has since indicated that action is being taken on its recommendations.
On Tuesday, Manning issued a statement expressing concerns about the conduct of the investigation. When the statement was posted in the San Fernando East group chat, a notice indicated it had been deleted by Alexis.
Yesterday morning, Gonzales urged party members to avoid publicly airing allegations and counter-allegations.
However, at about 7.30 pm, the San Fernando East Facebook page carried a statement from the constituency executive responding directly to Manning's remarks.
The executive said it would ordinarily refrain from publicly discussing matters before the PNM's internal structures.
"However, Mr Manning's decision to name an executive officer, repeat damaging allegations and invite a public trial of matters already before the party requires a firm response," the statement said.
"Despite the accusations and misrepresentations directed against constituency chairman Mrs Patricia Alexis, she has exercised restraint, submitted herself to the party's processes and allowed its leadership to conduct its investigations without attempting to influence the outcome through the media."
The statement outlined the steps taken by the PNM to address the matter and argued that Manning's criticism of the process was misplaced.
"Mr Manning may prefer a process designed according to his own conditions, but personal preference isn't proof of unfairness. He cannot demand due process while publicly undermining that process because it isn't proceeding exclusively on his terms."
The executive also expressed concern over what it described as Manning's "decision to recycle political allegations previously advanced by UNC members which have never been established by any finding placed in the public domain and use them to bring the integrity of a fellow PNM member into question."
"That is dangerous and profoundly irresponsible. A disclaimer cannot erase the reputational damage caused by calculated innuendo. The wider record must also be remembered," the statement added.
The executive noted that in 2024, a majority of party groups and constituency executive members backed Manning's candidacy for the 2025 General Election.
"The same executive whose support was welcomed when it secured his nomination cannot suddenly become untrustworthy because it refuses to surrender its independence," it stated.
The statement also highlighted Manning's electoral performance, noting that the PNM won San Fernando East by 5,173 votes in 2020, but that majority fell to 673 votes after a recount in the 2025 election.
"While the national political environment cannot be ignored, neither can Mr Manning avoid examining his own representation, political leadership and ability to retain public confidence," the executive said.
"A leader confronted by that level of electoral decline should begin with introspection, not scapegoating the volunteers and officers who helped him retain his seat.
"Mr Manning now speaks loudly about democracy. We therefore ask: why does he appear so fearful of allowing the democratic processes of the party and the judgement of the membership to take their course? Is the real concern that, without the support of the current executive he now attacks, his own political standing may be considerably less secure than he wishes to admit?"
The executive said it had co-operated fully with the party's leadership and would continue to respect its processes.
"What we will not accept is the use of mischievous political allegations to discredit our members or divert attention from failures of representation and leadership. San Fernando East is greater than any one officeholder, personality or surname."
Alexis did not respond to Guardian Media's queries regarding the statement, including questions about which executive officers authorised or approved its release.
Manning commented briefly on the issue yesterday but did not respond specifically to either Gonzales' statement or the executive's response.
Meanwhile, his supporters claimed that a vote of no confidence against him had failed and alleged that the statement was subsequently issued unilaterally.
