JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Sunday, April 6, 2025

Private labs get green light to test for COVID-19

by

1825 days ago
20200407
Minister of Health Terrence  Deyalsingh.

Minister of Health Terrence Deyalsingh.

SHIRLEY BAHADUR

PE­TER CHRISTO­PHER

pe­ter.christo­pher@guardian.co.tt

Pri­vate labs are be­ing en­cour­aged to ob­tain val­i­da­tion to bol­ster test­ing avail­abil­i­ty for COVID-19 in Trinidad and To­ba­go.

Min­is­ter of Health Ter­rence Deyals­ingh made the call for pri­vate labs to come on board dur­ing the Min­istry of Health’s dai­ly press con­fer­ence on COVID-19 mat­ters yes­ter­day.

“We are ask­ing all pri­vate labs, once you have your PCR ma­chines, to ap­proach CARPHA for val­i­da­tion,” Deyals­ingh said.

“The new reg­u­la­tions un­der sec­tion eight now puts a pos­i­tive re­quire­ment, a pos­i­tive du­ty of care on pri­vate labs who are cer­ti­fied by CARPHA to have a pos­i­tive re­port­ing oblig­a­tion to re­port their re­sults di­rect­ly to the chief med­ical of­fi­cer and not to in­di­vid­u­als.”

Deyals­ingh ex­plained that the im­me­di­ate re­port to CMO Dr Roshan Paras­ram would be done to en­sure the Min­istry of Health’s data­base of pos­i­tive cas­es are im­me­di­ate­ly up to date.

Paras­ram al­so said this re­sult de­liv­ery process was the stan­dard pro­ce­dure.

“Pa­tients gen­er­al­ly don’t get the re­sult, usu­al­ly the re­sult is sent to the physi­cians. The physi­cians need to let me know what the re­sult is and coun­sel you ap­pro­pri­ate­ly when they do so,” Paras­ram said.

Deyals­ingh said the pric­ing of the tests would be de­ter­mined by the labs, not­ing that some labs al­ready did test­ing which falls be­tween the price range of $1,000 to $2,000 but he would be en­cour­ag­ing them to keep the fig­ure rea­son­able.

“We just ask all pri­vate labs to price your ser­vices rea­son­ably. What we want is a na­tion­al ef­fort to save our way of life and to save lives,” he said.

He point­ed out that in the US, a test with­out med­ical in­sur­ance costs $1,000 while in the UK a test costs £450.

It had just been last week that the min­is­ter had ad­vised the coun­try that CARPHA was the on­ly val­i­dat­ed test­ing cen­tre for COVID-19, as he an­nounced plans to add three more test­ing ar­eas. He said Gov­ern­ment was stick­ing with CARPHA alone be­cause some pri­vate labs were do­ing un­re­li­able tests. Paras­ram con­firmed this yes­ter­day, say­ing they had had three such false re­sults from lo­cal labs.

But yes­ter­day, Deyals­ingh ex­plained that the min­istry’s plan to ramp up test­ing had hit a set back due to the lack of ex­trac­tion kits avail­able. He said the lack of car­go planes due to in­ter­na­tion­al re­stric­tions de­layed the ar­rival of the kits, which he said were cru­cial to ob­tain­ing DNA sam­ples from the tests.

Ear­li­er, Paras­ram con­firmed that case 106 was from To­ba­go.

“That is an im­port­ed case that was iso­lat­ed from the on­set, “ he said, adding that the 26 cas­es at Cau­ra were await­ing neg­a­tive tests so that they can be dis­charged.

He al­so con­firmed progress with pa­tients at the Cou­va Hos­pi­tal.

“In Cou­va there is a to­tal 70 cas­es, one ICU cas­es that is not ven­ti­lat­ed and is fair­ly sta­ble, three per­sons in the high de­pen­den­cy unit and the re­main­ing 66 per­sons are do­ing very well. A vast ma­jor­i­ty of them are no asymp­to­matic, await­ing their neg­a­tive tests as well. And as I said yes­ter­day we have added one per­son to the trans­fer list, there are 15 per­sons await­ing trans­fer out of that fa­cil­i­ty and we will be do­ing that in the next cou­ple days. Once we iden­ti­fy and have a ready a suit­able place for de­cant­i­ng,” he said, adding that bar­ring some changes, the 22 at Ba­lan­dra, who re­turned home last month from an ill-fat­ed Caribbean cruise, could be sent home soon.

T&T has al­so record­ed eight COVID-19 deaths so far, the lat­est be­ing a woman from Diego Mar­tin who was the sec­ond fe­male fa­tal­i­ty.

COVID-19


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored