The relatives of three people, including two teenagers, killed by police three years ago are tonight planning a vigil where they were killed, hoping to get some answers on the investigation.
The triple killing took place on June 2, 2022. Police reported that officers were shot at and returned fire on the occupants of a white Toyota Aqua, killing Leonardo Williams, Fabien Richards, and Isaiah Roberts.
The autopsy for the two 17 year olds— Williams and Roberts—and 21-year-old Richards stated all three were shot from behind, multiple times.
In May 2023 the Police Complaints Authority recommended that three officers be subjected to a coroner’s inquest in relation to the deaths.
Lead investigator in the matter Nigel Brandon John died last year with the police investigation still ongoing. Before he died, John told Guardian Media that he was awaiting the ballistic report from the Forensic Science Centre to complete his investigation.
Two weeks after the killings, then acting police commissioner Mc Donald Jacob met with Political Leader of the Progressive Democratic Party Watson Duke during an impromptu and cordial meeting.
At the end of the meeting, Jacob said the police were almost done with their investigations and were approaching the DPP later that week.
“It’s been three years and like no body taking this on again” a relative of told Guardian Media.
Relatives said with the third anniversary of the killings approaching and Brandon John’s passing, they have been left in the dark and are losing hope.
The vigil is planned to reignite public interest in the deaths.
The trio who died were among six people in the car at the time.
Police reported that they were pursuing the car from Diego Martin to Port-of-Spain when the driver made an illegal turn and headed east along Independence Square on the westbound lanes.
A survivor of the shooting later told the media that those shot and killed and others in the car surrendered but police kept shooting. In the end, the three were killed, two injured and the other shot. Despite police saying they were shot at, to date, none of the survivors were charged with any offences, including shooting at police and possession of a firearm.