Classes at Scarborough RC School were disrupted on Wednesday as teachers refused to return to their classrooms following an incident involving a nine-year-old student that left several educators and students unsettled.
Guardian Media understands that the situation involved a male student who became physically aggressive and had to be restrained. The principal responded by placing the school on a temporary lockdown, instructing all teachers to secure their classrooms and ensure students remained inside. School officials later contacted parents and asked them to collect their children. Yesterday's activities were officially described only as an "incident."
Bradon Roberts, the Tobago president of the Trinidad and Tobago Unified Teachers’ Association (TTUTA), confirmed that teachers had previously raised concerns about the same student, who they said had a history of aggressive and disruptive behaviour.
The Senior Superintendent of Police confirmed to Guardian Media that the incident involved two children and said officers brought the situation under control.
Some parents have expressed concern about the safety of students and staff. One parent, speaking on condition of anonymity, described the student’s behaviour as dangerous.
"The boy is crazy! He picking up knife for children, breaking bottle for the children to run on. He throwing down things. He's mentally unstable. He's like a raging bull, jumping over the fence to get an object to go back in the school to damage school. That boy needs to leave that school," the parent said.
Education officials have not yet outlined what steps they will take in response to the concerns raised by teachers and parents.