JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Sunday, April 6, 2025

Social gathering limit now 10 in new COVID plan

by

Gail Alexander
1845 days ago
20200318

The lim­it on gath­er­ings due to COVID-19’s ar­rival in Trinidad and To­ba­go is now ten peo­ple and less and a crack­down’s com­ing on bars and riv­er lim­ing.

Gov­ern­ment is al­so de­ter­min­ing whether bars which con­tin­ue to open pose a pub­lic health threat and could lose their li­cens­es for this breach. In­struc­tions are al­so be­ing is­sued to re­strict ac­cess to Cau­ra and oth­er riv­er lime lo­ca­tions.

Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley an­nounced this on Wednes­day as Gov­ern­ment sought to re­in­force ap­peals against con­gre­gat­ing in a bid to stop the virus’ spread.

Row­ley spoke at a me­dia brief­ing at the Diplo­mat­ic Cen­tre, St Ann’s, which fol­lowed an­oth­er spe­cial Cab­i­net meet­ing, where sev­er­al min­is­ters an­nounced mea­sures to deal with the fall­out from the virus reach­ing these shores. Teams work­ing on the is­sue in­volved fi­nance, bank­ing and in­sur­ance, trade and busi­ness and so­cial sup­port. Min­is­ters de­tailed mea­sures to pre­serve jobs and as­sist busi­ness and low-in­come earn­ers.

In the last week, sev­en im­port­ed COVID-19 cas­es were con­firmed. The lat­est cas­es were two women who flew in from Guade­loupe af­ter a cruise they were on was banned from en­ter­ing Mar­tinique be­cause of sus­pect­ed cas­es on board the ves­sel. A 26-year-old East Trinidad ath­lete who re­cent­ly re­turned from Eu­rope and a 52-year-old busi­ness­man who re­turned from Switzer­land are al­so among the cas­es.

Row­ley said he was pleased the na­tion­al com­mu­ni­ty has been pay­ing at­ten­tion to what’s been said on the is­sue and most cit­i­zens were tak­ing health pro­fes­sion­als’ ap­peals se­ri­ous­ly. But he said that wasn’t to say there weren’t peo­ple who still be­lieve it’s a joke. He said all of T&T must un­der­stand that suc­cess or fail­ure in the sit­u­a­tion “... might de­pend on you at the per­son­al lev­el.”

Cab­i­net yes­ter­day agreed gath­er­ings should be ten peo­ple or less, a re­duc­tion from 25 ini­tial­ly.

De­spite Gov­ern­ment’s call for bars to close to pre­vent virus spread, Row­ley said he un­der­stood some bars were still open­ing.

“Who feel they can ig­nore the guide­lines, re­quests and in­struc­tions...peo­ple who be­lieve that since they don’t have to go to work or school, the place to be is in a riv­er lime do­ing ex­act­ly what they’ve been asked not to do - con­gre­gate,” he said.

“This lev­el of ir­re­spon­si­bil­i­ty is be­ing not­ed and will not be al­lowed to con­tin­ue un­abat­ed be­cause at the end of the day, we do have some heavy ‘hands’ we can bring to bear on such be­hav­iour. So far we’ve been get­ting the job done with­out that and I’d like to be­lieve we can con­tin­ue with­out it.”

He added, “For those peo­ple go­ing to bars and those bars open­ing and en­cour­ag­ing peo­ple to con­gre­gate and there­fore pose a pub­lic health threat to the peo­ple, I’ve asked the At­tor­ney Gen­er­al and oth­er rel­e­vant of­fi­cials to de­ter­mine whether pos­ing of a pub­lic health threat al­so pos­es a threat to the li­cense of those bars. We’re ex­plor­ing that now and we’ll not hes­i­tate to take ac­tion where ac­tion is avail­able.”

For those who have to go to Cau­ra Riv­er and else­where, he said he’ll ask the rel­e­vant min­is­ter to ask Lo­cal Gov­ern­ment bod­ies to re­strict ac­cess to the riv­er.

“We’re ask­ing peo­ple to do what’s sen­si­ble if not on­ly for your be­half but for those to whom you pose a threat,” he said.

“Those who will have a won­der­ful time at the riv­er lime or by the bar...just re­mem­ber you could be the per­son tak­ing the pathogen home to your moth­er, fa­ther or sick child.”

He said the call ex­tend­ed to beach-go­ing since this could pro­vide an op­por­tu­ni­ty for virus spread. He al­so warmed against con­gre­gat­ing/lim­ing at home.

Row­ley said he knows the sit­u­a­tion is hard.

“I find my­self a lot of times... you know...it’s au­to­mat­ic to shake hands, but that’s a no-no. Some­times you want to greet some­one but you re­mem­ber, no kiss­ing,” he said.

“We’re not talk­ing about pe­nal­is­ing any­one, but peo­ple should be aware of not do­ing things to spread in­fec­tion ... your in­fec­tion is my in­fec­tion.”

Row­ley as­sured stu­dents will have their SEA and CSEC ex­am­i­na­tions lat­er bar­ring un­fore­seen cir­cum­stances. He said SEA may be in May but he wouldn’t say for sure yet since the virus was pro­ject­ed to peak around that time.

He said Gov­ern­ment was un­sure when the sit­u­a­tion would end. In­for­ma­tion in­di­cat­ed that over this month and April in­to May the virus would be at peak but Gov­ern­ment’s con­tin­gen­cies are for in­ter­ven­tion over that pe­ri­od. But he said oth­er ex­perts feel it could last as long as 18 months.

“I hope that fore­cast (18 months) isn’t the one we’re deal­ing with,” the PM said.

Say­ing T&T was in an un­prece­dent­ed sit­u­a­tion, he added that shut­ting the coun­try down wasn’t fea­si­ble. How­ev­er, Row­ley said T&T was in a much bet­ter po­si­tion than some US ar­eas where peo­ple have to stay home for three weeks.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored