JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Spiritual Baptist leader unhappy with Government funding

by

Anna-Lisa Paul
4 days ago
20250331
Council of Elders Shouter Baptists of T&T head Archbishop Barbara Gray-Burke, left, and Maryland Archbishop Myrtle Bristol speak to Guardian Media during the Spiritual Baptist Liberation Day celebrations at Empowerment Hall on Churchill Roosevelt Highway, Mausica, yesterday.

Council of Elders Shouter Baptists of T&T head Archbishop Barbara Gray-Burke, left, and Maryland Archbishop Myrtle Bristol speak to Guardian Media during the Spiritual Baptist Liberation Day celebrations at Empowerment Hall on Churchill Roosevelt Highway, Mausica, yesterday.

Courtesy CNC3

Se­nior Re­porter

an­na-lisa.paul@guardian.co.tt

“Are we beg­gars?”

Chal­leng­ing Cul­ture Min­is­ter Ran­dall Mitchell to an­swer this ques­tion yes­ter­day, as she said they had not ap­plied for any fund­ing this year, Arch­bish­op Bar­bara Gray-Burke said the measly of­fer from the Gov­ern­ment of $30,000 to host 2025 Spir­i­tu­al Bap­tist Lib­er­a­tion Day cel­e­bra­tions in Mau­si­ca was too lit­tle and in­sult­ing.

“I did not ap­ply for one red cent,” Burke said dur­ing ob­ser­vances at the Em­pow­er­ment Hall on the Churchill Roo­sevelt High­way.

“They ask­ing you one set of ques­tions over and over, and on­ly giv­ing you $30,000.”

Telling them “to keep yuh $30,000,” Burke said her fac­tion had man­aged to pull off their cel­e­bra­tions through God’s bless­ings.

Look­ing ahead, she said, “I will show you how God will bless us.”

Ad­mit­ting this was the first year she had not ap­plied for State fund­ing, Burke re­vealed, “Last year, they give $40,000. What hap­pen? Are we beg­gars?”

She was crit­i­cal of Prime Min­is­ter Stu­art Young, as she said, “He is the first Prime Min­is­ter do that.”

Arch­bish­op Myr­tle Bris­tol, who heads the Mary­land, US fac­tion, chimed in, “Why should one arch­dio­cese get mil­lions and the woman who is re­spon­si­ble for the hol­i­day...they didn’t want it and she fought for it and got it, and it is like she doesn’t ex­ist?”

Point­ing to the plans Burke had on the ta­ble, Bris­tol said, “She can prove where the mon­ey is go­ing.”

Bris­tol con­tin­ued, “We know how much mon­ey they have got­ten over the years and they have noth­ing to show for it.”

Burke said the fi­nan­cial in­for­ma­tion was con­firmed to them af­ter they filed a Free­dom of In­for­ma­tion Act (FOIA) re­quest, which Bris­tol said showed the Burke-led fac­tion had re­ceived $40,000 while an­oth­er fac­tion re­ceived over $300,000.

Shak­ing the maracs clasped in her right hand, Burke said, “God not bless­ing the mon­ey.”

In­di­cat­ing she will con­tin­ue to en­joy God’s bless­ings as she marched to­wards open­ing a home for the aged by May, Burke said, “We start­ed build­ing the place. We used to let the Vin­cen­tians stay in it, the Bar­ba­di­ans, when they come down and all these dif­fer­ent peo­ple, but we pre­pared now that we eh do­ing that again.”

She added, “We promised the el­der­ly that we would have built them a home for the aged and we are stick­ing to our promise.”

Con­struc­tion of the fa­cil­i­ty is al­ready un­der­way next to the church, she said.

While Burke was com­plain­ing yes­ter­day, an­oth­er fac­tion of the Spir­i­tu­al Bap­tist faith, led by Ec­cle­si­as­ti­cal head Pa­tri­arch Wayne Jones, was last week pre­sent­ed with a $10 mil­lion cheque by Young for the com­ple­tion of a cathe­dral, ad­min­is­tra­tive com­plex and her­itage park in Cou­va. The award­ing of the grant ful­filled a promise by for­mer Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley to sup­port the Spir­i­tu­al Bap­tist faith back in 2020 – and was ap­proved by Cab­i­net on Feb­ru­ary 20.

This was sec­ond part of Gov­ern­ment’s con­tri­bu­tion to mak­ing this a re­al­i­ty, as back in 2019, gov­ern­ment would have grant­ed the Spir­i­tu­al Bap­tist com­mu­ni­ty, along with oth­er re­li­gious groups, ac­cess to State land.

An ini­tial $10 mil­lion grant was pro­vid­ed at that time to start their project.

Min­is­ter Mitchell re­sponds

Con­tact­ed for com­ment yes­ter­day, Mitchell not­ed that Arch­bish­op Burke had con­firmed her or­gan­i­sa­tion re­ceived fund­ing for their pre­vi­ous cel­e­bra­tions.

“This year, Arch­bish­op Burke’s or­gan­i­sa­tion DID NOT ap­ply. I am told that min­istry staff called on sev­er­al oc­ca­sions since Feb­ru­ary and in­to March to ad­vise and re­mind of the ap­pli­ca­tion process and to en­sure ear­ly ap­pli­ca­tion for grant fund­ing.

“Once an ap­pli­ca­tion for grant fund­ing from the Na­tion­al Days and Fes­ti­vals Fund is made, it is processed and as­sessed by the grants and spon­sor­ship com­mit­tee in the min­istry, where rec­om­men­da­tions are made to the Per­ma­nent Sec­re­tary and the Min­is­ter for ad­min­is­tra­tive sign-off. It is then tak­en to Cab­i­net for its not­ing.”

He said rec­om­men­da­tions for fund­ing are based on sev­er­al things.

“The ap­pli­ca­tion process is ground­ed in pol­i­cy, is trans­par­ent, and can stand scruti­ny,” he said.

Asked if Burke’s al­liance to the UNC had in­flu­enced the amount of fund­ing her or­gan­i­sa­tion re­ceived fund­ing, Mitchell said, “Her po­lit­i­cal al­le­giance has noth­ing to do with the fund­ing she has re­ceived over the last nine years. Her po­lit­i­cal al­le­giance, how­ev­er, has every­thing to do with her un­for­tu­nate com­ments.”


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored