JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Wednesday, July 16, 2025

Tancoo says Kartel US payment still under probe

by

Jesse Ramdeo
29 days ago
20250617
Vybz Kartel

Vybz Kartel

Jesse Ramdeo

Se­nior Re­porter

jesse.ramdeo@cnc3.co.tt

Fi­nance Min­is­ter Dav­en­dranath Tan­coo says the in­ves­ti­ga­tion in­to the sub­stan­tial for­eign ex­change pay­ment made to Ja­maican dance­hall artiste Adid­ja “Vy­bz Kar­tel” Palmer re­mains on­go­ing and ac­tive.

Con­tro­ver­sy erupt­ed ear­li­er this month when Kar­tel, along with sev­er­al oth­er artistes, with­drew from the May 31 One Caribbean Mu­sic Fes­ti­val at the Queen’s Park Sa­van­nah, cit­ing un­re­solved con­trac­tu­al is­sues. Ac­cord­ing to the event’s or­gan­is­ers, Kar­tel re­ceived US$950,000 of US$1.3 mil­lion for his per­for­mance be­fore he de­cid­ed to pull out of the con­cert.

Tan­coo pre­vi­ous­ly stat­ed that he was in­trigued by the amount of for­eign ex­change be­ing men­tioned in re­la­tion to pay­ment fees for artistes in­volved and or­dered an in­ves­ti­ga­tion.

Speak­ing out­side Par­lia­ment yes­ter­day, the Fi­nance Min­is­ter said the in­ves­ti­ga­tion was con­tin­u­ing.

“The Min­istry of Fi­nance is work­ing very close­ly with the po­lice ser­vice with re­gards to that in­ves­ti­ga­tion.”

Act­ing Po­lice Com­mis­sion­er Ju­nior Ben­jamin pre­vi­ous­ly told the me­dia that the mat­ter war­rant­ed an in­ves­ti­ga­tion, par­tic­u­lar­ly giv­en the fact that one of the main pro­mot­ers has a pend­ing crim­i­nal charge.

Mean­while, Tan­coo was asked to clar­i­fy Gov­ern­ment’s de­ci­sion to sus­pend the roll­out of its 2025 se­ries $100 poly­mer ban­knote.

In a state­ment is­sued last week, the Cen­tral Bank said it had in­struct­ed its con­tract­ed print­er to stop all work re­lat­ed to the print­ing, de­sign and prepa­ra­tion of the new notes “un­til fur­ther no­tice”.

The Cen­tral Bank had pre­vi­ous­ly an­nounced that the up­dat­ed $100 note would en­ter pub­lic cir­cu­la­tion by Sep­tem­ber 2025. It was to in­clude a larg­er se­cu­ri­ty strip, holo­graph­ic el­e­ments, and a new Coat of Arms fea­tur­ing the na­tion­al in­stru­ment—the steel­pan—re­plac­ing the three ships as­so­ci­at­ed with Christo­pher Colum­bus.

Tan­coo as­sured fur­ther de­tails re­gard­ing the re­cent move will be made pub­lic.

“I will ad­vise you all for­mal­ly in due course.”

The Cen­tral Bank has not in­di­cat­ed whether the new time­line will be ad­just­ed or if the de­sign will be re­vised again. It said it will con­tin­ue to keep the pub­lic in­formed on de­vel­op­ments.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored

iiq_pixel