Senior Reporter
sascha.wilson@guardian.co.tt
One of two men who were beaten to death by Venezuelan nationals during an altercation in Fyzabad on Friday had been released from prison only a few months ago.
Anselm Nicholas, 31, and his friend, Richard McDavid, 38, died at the Siparia District Health Facility hours after the incident.
Investigators are still trying to determine exactly what led to the deadly confrontation.
Initial reports indicate that around 4pm, Nicholas and McDavid were walking along Delhi Road, Fyzabad, near a car wash when they became involved in an argument with another man.
Three Hispanic men reportedly intervened, and McDavid allegedly slapped one of them.
The situation quickly escalated into a violent altercation during which Nicholas and McDavid were severely beaten.
The man with whom they had initially argued later drove the injured men to the Fyzabad Police Station. They were subsequently taken to the Siparia District Health Facility, where they were pronounced dead sometime before 9 pm.
Police said both men sustained multiple injuries, including swelling and abrasions to their bodies.
When the Sunday Guardian visited Easy Street, where McDavid lived, no one was at home yesterday. However, residents of the Fyzabad community alleged that he had been involved in robberies and larcenies.
Nicholas’ mother also acknowledged that her son had been involved in theft.
She said he was released from prison around February after serving a six-year sentence.
She said she had repeatedly urged him to change his life and distance himself from certain friends, but he refused to listen.
“I hoped that after he came out of prison he would have changed his life, but he didn’t,” she said. “As the old people say, ‘You live by the sword, you die by the sword.’”
Despite this, another close relative said Nicholas did not deserve such a fate.
“They could have broken his hand or foot, but they shouldn’t have killed him,” she said.
Meanwhile, Mon Desir councillor Deryck Bowrin said the Government was doing its best to address the country’s crime problem.
Responding to criticism about the lack of police posts in some communities, Bowrin said he could not understand the complaints and would welcome a police post in the district.
However, he stressed that law enforcement alone cannot solve crime and requires the support and cooperation of the public.
Officers of the Homicide Bureau of Investigations, Region III, are continuing inquiries into the incident.
