Senior Reporter
jesse.ramdeo@cnc3.co.tt
Public Utilities Minister Barry Padarath says negotiations between the Water and Sewerage Authority (WASA) and the Public Services Association (PSA) have advanced significantly, with the Government meeting a deadline set earlier this week to move the outstanding wage proposals forward.
Padarath gave the update yesterday, after speaking with PSA president Felisha Thomas and WASA acting CEO Dain Maharaj.
He said the proposals are now being forwarded to the Ministry of Public Utilities for the next stage of consideration.
“I can confirm that the negotiations between WASA and the PSA have advanced significantly, so much so that we have been able to meet today’s (Friday) deadline as articulated by myself to WASA and the union on Monday,” Padarath said.
He said the correspondence containing the proposals was expected to reach the ministry within the same day.
Padarath described the development as a significant step forward in the process.
“We have kept to the timeline that was given to both WASA and the PSA, and therefore this is very good news that we were able to advance these discussions and come to a common ground to meet today’s deadline,” he said.
The minister said the proposals will now have to go through the necessary processes, with the PSA expected to make further representations and engage other stakeholders.
“So today is the first major leg in terms of advancing the process,” Padarath said.
The development follows two days of protest action by WASA workers outside the authority’s compound over outstanding wage negotiations involving approximately 2,800 monthly-paid employees.
Thomas placed the protest action on hold after Padarath met with the union, WASA’s CEO Roshan Babwah and other executives on Monday.
Thomas said the minister’s intervention resulted in a commitment from WASA to have the union’s wage proposals submitted to the ministry by the end of the week.
She said the PSA was hopeful the latest development would lead to a settlement but warned that industrial action could resume if the commitment is not honoured.
“We have the commitment, and if it is not followed through, of course, we continue with the action,” Thomas said.
Thomas also rejected suggestions that the dispute centres solely on Government’s commitment to a ten per cent wage increase.
She said the Government had not reneged on its commitment to pay the ten per cent increase to any category of workers.
Guardian Media reached out to Thomas on this latest development, but did not get a response up to press time.
