Employees of Works Credit Union took to the streets outside of their Dundonald Street, Port-of-Spain headquarters for a third consecutive week last Friday, as they continued their call for salary negotiations and improved working conditions.
The workers are on a legally sanctioned three-month strike following stalled wage negotiations.
Speaking with Guardian Media, Banking and Insurance General Workers Union (BIGWU) branch president June Allert-Hagley said the workers had been seeking a meeting with the credit union but had not received a response.
She said workers were also concerned about the impact the dispute was having on members.
“Our members are suffering; they can’t get withdrawals because they refuse to meet with us.”
Allert-Hagley said the workers had been “consistently working, diligently helping our members” and deserved a liveable salary.
She questioned whether the credit union’s board cared about its staff and membership.
“We are here, we have 90 days on the pavement, and we will maintain our position. They have to come better than what they are doing now. We deserve a liveable salary.”
Credit union member Jabari Robe also raised concerns about the impact of the dispute on members.
Robe, who said he has been a member of Works Credit Union for five years, claimed members were having difficulty accessing their funds.
He also raised concerns about information being provided to members.
“Look at what happening here. No cash. Imagine you have a credit union and you can’t get your cash. That is high percentage of failure.”
Robe also alleged that members were being given misleading information about interest charged on loans and called on the Government to investigate the credit union.
“I want the minister or whoever in control and credit unions to look into them.”
BIGWU said it would continue raising workers’ concerns until the issues are resolved.
