JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

14 bodies, human remains found in boat adrift off Belle Garden

by

Loyse Vincent
1406 days ago
20210529

Loyse Vin­cent

The qui­et fish­ing com­mu­ni­ty of Belle Gar­den, To­ba­go, was rocked by the grue­some dis­cov­ery of 14 bod­ies and oth­er hu­man re­mains on board a fish­ing ves­sel drift­ing just a few miles out at sea ear­ly yes­ter­day morn­ing.

Ac­cord­ing to re­ports, fish­er­men from the area said they were on a reg­u­lar fish­ing trip just af­ter 6 am, when they ob­served the odd­ly-shaped boat which ap­peared to them to be Venezue­lan due to its de­sign.

They said the boat ap­peared to be un­manned and drift­ing to­wards shore. The ves­sel bore the reg­is­tra­tion num­ber AG231.

Ac­cord­ing to the fish­er­men, a strong and foul odour was al­so com­ing from the ves­sel and af­ter tak­ing a clos­er look, they saw what ap­peared to be hu­man re­mains on board.

One of the fish­er­men who made the dis­cov­ery, Ja­son Broomes, spoke with the me­dia about his ex­pe­ri­ence.

“There was a boat with plen­ty fish around it and it was smelling stink, so it might have dead peo­ple. We take a lit­tle small peep and we see a body over the bough but we know with that smell it had to be more.”

Broomes said af­ter alert­ing the T&T Coast Guard, the fish­er­men were ad­vised by the Coast­guards­men that they did not have a ves­sel avail­able and that they (fish­er­men) should in­stead pull the ves­sel to shore.

“Imag­ine they don’t have no ves­sel and I find they al­ways sup­posed to have a boat on stand­by, be­cause if it was an emer­gency and some­body was in dif­fi­cul­ty what would have hap­pened.”

When the fish­er­men ar­rived to shore with the ves­sel around 10.30 am, it had to be dragged on­to land by heavy equip­ment, as the rope used to tow the boat to shore broke sev­er­al times while men were try­ing to moor the ves­sel.

The dis­cov­ery caused vil­lagers to gath­er at the beach to gain a view­ing point.

“We just heard a boat come ashore with dead bod­ies,” some of them were heard say­ing.

Po­lice, who had blocked the main ac­cess point to the beach, even­tu­al­ly fanned, out clear­ing the beach­es, sight­ing in­fringe­ment of COVID-19 reg­u­la­tions which pro­hib­it peo­ple from be­ing on beach­es.

In­ves­ti­ga­tors re­mained on the beach pro­cess­ing the scene un­til about 4 pm.

Guardian Me­dia was told that a cell­phone and a GPS de­vice were found on board.

The To­ba­go Emer­gency Man­age­ment Agency al­so as­sist­ed in se­cur­ing the area.

TEMA chair­man Al­lan Stew­art de­scribed the scene as shock­ing, as “sev­er­al of the bod­ies were dis­mem­bered and in an ad­vanced stage of de­com­po­si­tion.”

“In­ves­ti­ga­tions are con­tin­u­ing. Bod­ies are de­com­posed and we can’t say the na­tion­al­i­ties, so the in­ves­ti­ga­tions are try­ing to con­firm the na­tion­al­i­ties. They are all male. So far, they were clothed in - most of them - in green rain jack­ets and Puma track pants. There were no sur­vivors in the ves­sel,” he said.

Guardian Me­dia con­tact­ed TTCG Pub­lic Af­fairs Of­fi­cer Khadi­ja Lamy for a com­ment on the fish­er­men’s claim that they con­tact­ed the Coast Guard for help and were told they had no ves­sel to re­spond. Up to news time, there was no re­sponse.

In a news re­lease, the TTPS con­firmed the dis­cov­ery of the 14 bod­ies, a skull and skele­tal re­mains.

ACP William Nurse, Po­lice Supt Rhodil Kirk and sev­er­al Homi­cide, Char­lot­teville and Rox­bor­ough CID of­fi­cers were at the scene. In­ves­ti­ga­tions are con­tin­u­ing.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored