JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Another home destroyed by fire

by

718 days ago
20230416

KRISTIAN DE SIVA

rad­hi­ca.sookraj@guardian.co.tt

Yet an­oth­er house has been de­stroyed by fire, this time at Sun­rees Road, Pe­nal.

The own­er, Troy Fa­bi­en, 38, of Go­sine Av­enue, Sun­rees Road, Pe­nal told po­lice he se­cured his house around 9 am on Sun­day and went to Pe­nal to do some er­rands.

While there he got a call that his house was on fire.

By the time he ar­rived back home, the wood­en storey house val­ued at $40,000, was de­stroyed. Fa­bi­en told po­lice he did not know what caused the fire.

A par­ty of fire of­fi­cers, led by act­ing FS­SO Fe­lix and oth­ers from the Pe­nal Fire Sta­tion, re­spond­ed and ex­tin­guished the fire. PC Teles­ford and Moreno, of the Pe­nal Po­lice Sta­tion vis­it­ed the scene and are con­tin­u­ing in­ves­ti­ga­tions.

Sev­er­al hous­es have been de­stroyed by fire over the past few weeks as a re­sult of bush­fires.

Last week, three mem­bers of a La Ro­maine fam­i­ly suf­fered burns when fiery splin­ters from a bush fire ig­nit­ed a tree and spread to their home, burn­ing it to the ground.

Christo­pher Bran­ka, 60, suf­fered se­ri­ous burns to his head, back and hands while Bri­an Bran­ka, 61, and Yas­mine Mo­hammed, 50, suf­fered mi­nor burns to their hands and shoul­ders. The fam­i­ly had been asleep at their South­ern Main Road, La Ro­maine home when the fire start­ed.

In ear­ly April, Kem­ba Mor­ris, 42, and her eight-year-old daugh­ter Za­ya both per­ished when fire de­stroyed their Quinam Road, Siparia home.

On March 20, a bush fire spread through the grassy hill­sides of Soledad Road North, burn­ing down two hous­es owned by broth­ers Toolsie Ram­dass-Singh, 50 and Thack­oor Ba­boolal, aged 59.

And in Feb­ru­ary, a $2 mil­lion house at Sum Sum Hill, Clax­ton Bay was al­so de­stroyed by fire.

Fire­fight­ers say a se­vere lack of equip­ment and a short­age of fire ten­ders have made their job dif­fi­cult.

Pres­i­dent of the Fire Ser­vice As­so­ci­a­tion Leo Ramkissoon said 25 sta­tions through­out T&T, there are eight op­er­at­ing with­out a fire truck. These sta­tions are Bel­mont, Mor­vant, Ch­aguara­mas, Ch­agua­nas, San­ta Cruz, San Juan, Siparia and Point Fortin. There are cur­rent­ly five sta­tions with­out wa­ter ten­ders: Ch­aguara­mas, Wood­brook, Bel­mont, Mor­vant and San­ta Cruz.

Ear­li­er this week, Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Min­is­ter Fitzger­ald Hinds said $30 mil­lion worth of fire equip­ment will ar­rive in T&T next month.

Among the equip­ment pur­chased were wa­ter ten­ders, a mo­bile wa­ter sup­ply, and a chem­i­cal in­dus­tri­al ten­der. These ve­hi­cles are ex­pect­ed to be as­signed to fire sta­tions in Point Fortin, Pe­nal and Ma­yaro.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored