An employee of the ANSA McAL Centre in Chaguanas has tested positive for COVID-19.
In a statement, the ANSA McAL Group confirmed that the employee was receiving medical treatment and is doing well. The company noted that the employee had not worked at the facility since July 17. However, he came in contact with someone who tested positive on July 19 and fell ill the following day. In keeping with the company’s protocols, the employee did not report to work.
“This has contained the level of risk to workers,” the company stated.
The employee went to the doctor and was furnished with sick leave for one week.
“It has now been discovered that unfortunately, our employee has tested positive for COVID-19.”
The company did not divulge further information on the employee due to its medical privacy rules.
The company said it was advised by the Ministry of Health that based on its stringent group protocols which were implemented since the end of March and the timeline listed above, there was no need for further investigation or contact tracing at the facility.
Since the arrival of this pandemic in the country, the company assured that it had been following medical protocols and has continued to implement strict social distancing procedures and hygiene throughout all group companies. The company said it will continue to consult with health officials and experts internal and external to the group as this situation evolves.
Meanwhile, COVID-19 jitters spread through the community of Duncan Village, San Fernando, after the popular Len Hap Supermarket closed for sanitisation because a suspected COVID-19 positive merchandiser had visited the premises.
Len Hap Supermarket, located along the SS Erin Road, was not advised by the ministry to close its business but decided to do so to sanitise the premises out of an abundance of caution.
In a statement, the supermarket said they closed to decontaminate and clean the business place.
“This action has become necessary since we have been advised that a merchandiser from another company who visited the store last week may be COVID positive. Len Hap has not been ordered to close or test anyone from our company, however, out of an abundance of caution all necessary precautions are being taken. We wish to reiterate that no employee of Len Hap has been tested positive for COVID.”
A Health Ministry official contacted the supermarket owners and notified them of the situation but neither the name of the merchandiser nor the date of the visit was disclosed. The health official also advised them to ensure they adhere to all COVID protocols.
The supermarket has assured it has put in place all the safety precautions since the start of the pandemic and urged everyone to continue to practice physical distancing, washing hands and wearing masks, adding it will reopen for business today.
Meanwhile, another south company which owns a chain of supermarkets, Anand Low Price, yesterday debunked rumours its supermarkets were closed for sanitisation.
“Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have taken the conscientious decision to ensure that all of our premises are sanitised daily in keeping with established protocols. These precautionary safety measures remain in place at all five of our locations to ensure proper social distancing and sanitisation is in effect.”
The company assured that its customers’ health and safety is of great priority.
Several places, including businesses and schools, have been closed within the past two weeks for sanitisation as the Health Ministry carries out its contact tracing exercise on the latest cases.