JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Caricom ministers to meet US officials on Trump’s Cuban labour policy

by

33 days ago
20250301
Minister of Foreign and Caricom Affairs Dr Amery Browne during the 48th Regular Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of Caricom in Bridgetown, Barbados, last week.

Minister of Foreign and Caricom Affairs Dr Amery Browne during the 48th Regular Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of Caricom in Bridgetown, Barbados, last week.

A meet­ing be­tween US of­fi­cials and Cari­com For­eign Af­fairs Min­is­ters is be­ing arranged in March to dis­cuss the Trump Ad­min­is­tra­tion’s pol­i­cy to re­strict the visas of gov­ern­ment of­fi­cials whose coun­tries em­ploy Cuban med­ical prac­ti­tion­ers.

This visa re­stric­tion pol­i­cy will al­so ap­ply to the im­me­di­ate fam­i­ly mem­bers of the gov­ern­ment of­fi­cials.

On Feb­ru­ary 25, US Sec­re­tary of State Mar­co Ru­bio an­nounced, “The ex­pan­sion of an ex­ist­ing Cu­ba-re­lat­ed visa re­stric­tion pol­i­cy that tar­gets forced labour linked to the Cuban labour ex­port pro­gramme.”

Ru­bio said this ap­plies to Cuban gov­ern­ment of­fi­cials and, “oth­er in­di­vid­u­als, in­clud­ing for­eign gov­ern­ment of­fi­cials, who are be­lieved to be re­spon­si­ble for, or in­volved in, the Cuban labour ex­port pro­gramme, par­tic­u­lar­ly Cu­ba’s over­seas med­ical mis­sions.”

The US Sec­re­tary of State said that the Cuban gov­ern­ment prof­its from this “abu­sive and co­er­cive labour prac­tice, which en­rich­es its regime while de­priv­ing Cuban cit­i­zens of the med­ical care they des­per­ate­ly need in their home coun­try.”

This coun­try em­ploys sev­er­al Cuban med­ical pro­fes­sion­als, such as doc­tors, nurs­es and phys­io­ther­a­pists.

Guardian Me­dia at­tempt­ed to get an ex­act num­ber from the Min­istry of Health, how­ev­er, all at­tempts to con­tact Min­is­ter Ter­rence Deyals­ingh were un­suc­cess­ful. Chief Med­ical Of­fi­cer, Dr Roshan Paras­ram, ad­vised Guardian Me­dia to sub­mit the ques­tion through the Health Min­istry’s com­mu­ni­ca­tions de­part­ment, how­ev­er, there was no re­sponse yes­ter­day.

But For­eign and Cari­com Af­fairs Min­is­ter Dr Amery Browne said, “The COF­COR (Coun­cil for For­eign and Com­mu­ni­ty Re­la­tions) had a meet­ing on this is­sue this morn­ing (Fri­day) and has agreed to seek clar­i­fi­ca­tion from the State De­part­ment on be­half of mem­ber states in the re­gion.”

Min­is­ter Browne added, “A meet­ing is be­ing arranged for the sec­ond week of March for COF­COR Min­is­ters with US en­voy Mauri­cio Claver-Carone in Wash­ing­ton DC.”

Claver-Carone is the US State De­part­ment’s Spe­cial En­voy for Latin Amer­i­ca.

At­tempts were made to get a com­ment from Cuban Am­bas­sador to T&T, Gus­ta­vo Veliz. How­ev­er, Veliz asked for more time be­fore com­ment­ing.

Three weeks ago, Am­bas­sador Veliz as­sured that the coun­try’s re­la­tion­ship with T&T will con­tin­ue in the eco­nom­ic, health and ed­u­ca­tion fields de­spite moves by the new Don­ald Trump ad­min­is­tra­tion to tight­en the decades-old sanc­tions against Cu­ba.

Speak­ing specif­i­cal­ly on the bi­lat­er­al re­la­tion­ship as it per­tains to the med­ical field, Veliz said, “In T&T, a Cuban Health Brigade has been pro­vid­ing ser­vices for over two decades; Cuban col­lab­o­ra­tors re­mained in T&T dur­ing the COVID-19 pan­dem­ic and in No­vem­ber 2024, the Cuban Am­bas­sador and the Ho­n­ourable Min­is­ter of Health, Ter­rence Deyals­ingh, signed a con­tract to ex­tend Cuban med­ical col­lab­o­ra­tion in T&T for an­oth­er five years.”


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored