JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Chris Must List trial to be set in January

by

Derek Achong
223 days ago
20240823
Canadian vlogger Christopher " Chris Must List" Huges.

Canadian vlogger Christopher " Chris Must List" Huges.

FILE

Derek Achong

A date for the sedi­tion tri­al of Cana­di­an Youtu­ber Christo­pher "Chris Must List" Hugh­es is ex­pect­ed to be set in Jan­u­ary, next year. 

Act­ing Chief Mag­is­trate Chris­tine Charles gave the in­di­ca­tion as Hugh­es reap­peared be­fore her this morn­ing. 

Hugh­es re­quest­ed a lengthy ad­journ­ment as he said that he has trips booked in­clud­ing to Africa and could on­ly re­turn to Trinidad af­ter Jan­u­ary 7. 

Hugh­es al­so en­quired whether he could par­tic­i­pate in the case via video con­fer­enc­ing while con­tin­u­ing his trav­els. 

Mag­is­trate Charles said she had no pow­er to vary his bail con­di­tions in­clud­ing one that re­quires him to re­turn to this coun­try for each court ap­pear­ance. She ad­vised him to ap­ply to the High Court for a vari­a­tion. 

Dur­ing the hear­ing, at­tor­ney Rus­sell Warn­er, who was among the team of at­tor­neys which rep­re­sent­ed Hugh­es in pre­vi­ous hear­ings, ap­plied for him, Pamela El­der, SC, and Anand Ram­lo­gan, SC, to with­draw from the case. 

"We are re­gret­tably at an im­passe with Mr Hugh­es and are forced to with­draw," Warn­er said. 

The ap­pli­ca­tion was grant­ed. 

Ear­li­er this week, Hugh­es in­di­cat­ed that he would rep­re­sent him­self af­ter he re­ceived a US$50,000 in­voice from some mem­bers of his le­gal team. 

He re­it­er­at­ed the po­si­tion be­fore Mag­is­trate Charles. 

"For the time be­ing I am go­ing to stand be­fore the court and de­fend my­self," he said. 

How­ev­er, he did not rule out re­tain­ing an­oth­er at­tor­ney be­fore the case goes to tri­al. 

"I will make a de­ci­sion be­fore the next hear­ing," he said. 

Mag­is­trate Charles warned him of the po­ten­tial con­se­quences if he is even­tu­al­ly con­vict­ed. 

"The max­i­mum penal­ty is a term of im­pris­on­ment of two years," she said. 

Be­fore ad­journ­ing the case to Jan­u­ary 14, Mag­is­trate Charles set dead­lines for pros­e­cu­tors from the Of­fice of the Di­rec­tor of Pub­lic Pros­e­cu­tions (DPP) to file and serve the re­main­ing ev­i­dence against Hugh­es. 

Pros­e­cu­tor Va­lene Guer­ra-Abra­ham in­di­cat­ed that the "bulk" of the ev­i­dence had been dis­closed ex­cept two to three wit­ness state­ments. The re­main­ing ev­i­dence is ex­pect­ed to be dis­closed by the end of next month. 

In May, Hugh­es, a 45-year-old fa­ther of three, was charged with pub­lish­ing a state­ment with a sedi­tious in­tent. 

The charges re­late to videos Hugh­es post­ed dur­ing a lengthy vis­it to this coun­try, ear­li­er this year. 

He plead­ed not guilty to the of­fence and was grant­ed $100,000 bail. His bail was sub­se­quent­ly var­ied to al­low him to leave the coun­try and re­turn for court. 


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored