JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

CoP: Minors were left stranded at MovieTowne

by

1467 days ago
20210328
A section of the large crowd outside MovieTowne at Invaders Bay, Port-of-Spain, on Saturday.

A section of the large crowd outside MovieTowne at Invaders Bay, Port-of-Spain, on Saturday.

ANISTO ALVES

pe­ter.christo­pher@guardian.co.tt

The Sat­ur­day night crowd at Movi­eTowne in Port-of-Spain was not the on­ly wor­ri­some gath­er­ing over the week­end, Com­mis­sion­er of Po­lice Gary Grif­fith said yes­ter­day.

Po­lice of­fi­cers had to be called to the pop­u­lar venue on Sat­ur­day af­ter pho­tos sur­faced on so­cial me­dia of scores of peo­ple lim­ing out­side the cine­plex.

In a phone in­ter­view with Guardian Me­dia, how­ev­er, Grif­fith con­firmed that Movi­eTowne’s crowd was one of three mass gath­er­ings his of­fi­cers had to dis­perse on Sat­ur­day evening.

“Movi­eTowne was not the on­ly area, we had sim­i­lar sit­u­a­tions at Heart­land Plaza, at Grand Bazaar, where it would have sit­u­a­tions where there were mass gath­er­ings of per­sons at one spe­cif­ic place,” Grif­fith said.

“We an­tic­i­pate sim­i­lar sit­u­a­tions dur­ing the East­er week­end with peo­ple try­ing to con­gre­gate in spe­cif­ic ar­eas and again, it makes it very dif­fi­cult for the po­lice to try to main­tain and to en­sure that per­sons ad­here to the reg­u­la­tions when you have that amount of per­sons in one spe­cif­ic place.”

Grif­fith ex­plained that the Movi­eTowne sit­u­a­tion was com­pli­cat­ed by the fact that the vast ma­jor­i­ty of peo­ple gath­ered out­side the cine­plex and shop­ping mall. He dis­pelled claims, how­ev­er, that the crowd may have been linked to the open­ing of one block­buster movie.

“I think the big­ger prob­lem ex­ist­ed with the vast num­ber of per­sons who were not go­ing in to watch a movie that af­ter­noon. We got nu­mer­ous re­ports of mi­nors who were ac­tu­al­ly dropped off by their par­ents,” he said.

“When the po­lice were try­ing to dis­perse the crowd, the vast ma­jor­i­ty were mi­nors who said they had nowhere to go be­cause their par­ents dropped them off.”

The oth­er gath­er­ings, Grif­fith con­firmed, were adults con­verg­ing at the shop­ping malls or near to them.

“We had re­ports of planned car shows and things that cause adults to con­verge. Well ob­vi­ous­ly there would have been some mi­nors as well but there­in lies the prob­lem,” said Grif­fith, who not­ed the gath­er­ings at these lo­ca­tions flew in the face of the warn­ing is­sued by Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley mere hours ear­li­er.

“It ob­vi­ous­ly took a lot of strain on the po­lice ser­vice that evening. We had five emer­gency re­sponse pa­trol ve­hi­cles go­ing there on a con­tin­u­ous ba­sis try­ing to dis­perse the crowd. This was in to­tal con­trast to the rec­om­men­da­tion and re­quest made by the chair of the Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Coun­cil, the Prime Min­is­ter, when he asked per­sons to try to be re­spon­si­ble.”

He was re­fer­ring to Prime Min­is­ter Row­ley’s call to the pub­lic to ex­er­cise greater dis­ci­pline in fol­low­ing the COVID-19 pro­to­cols in the wake of a re­cent resur­gence in cas­es. Row­ley made the ap­peal dur­ing the COVID-19 me­dia brief­ing on Sat­ur­day, where Min­istry of health of­fi­cials re­vealed that the coun­ty of Vic­to­ria had been the lat­est area iden­ti­fied as a hotspot, with ac­tiv­i­ty in Pe­nal, in par­tic­u­lar, caus­ing con­cern. Coun­ty Ca­roni had al­so pre­vi­ous­ly been high­light­ed as a new trou­ble spot for a spike in cas­es.

Yes­ter­day, Grif­fith said while the TTPS was aware that many peo­ple were frus­trat­ed and look­ing for some kind of out­let af­ter a year of COVID-19-re­lat­ed re­stric­tions, there was still a need for per­son­al re­spon­si­bil­i­ty. He al­so made a call for the pub­lic to recog­nise that their ac­tions might con­tribute to a large gath­er­ing in a pub­lic space.

“I said it is not spe­cif­ic be­cause of peo­ple go­ing to the movies but chil­dren just want­i­ng to so­cialise, peo­ple be­ing frus­trat­ed, but every­one can­not de­cide to so­cialise and be frus­trat­ed at the same time and the same place. So it is hoped that af­ter the sit­u­a­tion in Movi­eTowne, es­pe­cial­ly par­ents, they need to un­der­stand I may be drop­ping my child but he or she may con­tribute to a sit­u­a­tion that is very dif­fi­cult for the po­lice to con­trol,” he said.

He said it was this type of ac­tiv­i­ty that prompt­ed his de­ci­sion to stop grant­i­ng per­mis­sion for vig­ils and protests, as he ex­plained that these events pro­mot­ed large gath­er­ings which ul­ti­mate­ly are con­trary to Pub­lic Health Reg­u­la­tions cur­rent­ly be­ing en­forced.

“It seems to be a tem­plate of a road march line—we in­tend to ad­here to all the COVID pro­to­cols. But you say that yet you ex­pect and an­tic­i­pate hun­dreds to at­tend, so you can­not be ad­her­ing to all the COVID pro­to­cols if you are ful­ly aware that there will be more than ten per­sons that will be as­sem­bled. That is why I had to put an end to it be­cause it was get­ting to­tal­ly out of hand,” Grif­fith said.

“We reach a sit­u­a­tion where per­sons need to un­der­stand that per­sons con­verg­ing en masse is what may very well be caus­ing the num­bers to es­ca­late.”


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored