JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

COVID-19 outbreak at Lady Hochoy Home

by

1245 days ago
20211105
Lady Hochoy Home in Cocorite.

Lady Hochoy Home in Cocorite.

ANISTO ALVES

There has been a COVID-19 out­break at the La­dy Ho­choy Home in Co­corite, re­sult­ing in eight mem­bers of staff, 12 adult res­i­dents, and three chil­dren test­ing pos­i­tive for the virus.

Pro­vid­ing an up­date on the sit­u­a­tion yes­ter­day, Min­is­ter in the Of­fice of the Prime Min­is­ter, Ayan­na Web­ster-Roy said, “Pos­i­tive and neg­a­tive res­i­dents have been sep­a­rat­ed in­to dif­fer­ent spaces, and al­so, they are main­tain­ing sep­a­ra­tion be­tween adults and chil­dren.”

Pressed to say what are the ages of those who had test­ed pos­i­tive and if the Delta strain had been iden­ti­fied among the in­fect­ed, she di­rect­ed those ques­tions to the Min­istry of Health (MoH).

In­di­cat­ing it would be the Chil­dren’s Au­thor­i­ty of T&T (CATT) that had over­sight for the Home, Web­ster-Roy said while this is un­der her min­istry’s purview, the Of­fice of the Prime Min­is­ter (OPM), “was not di­rect­ly in­volved in chil­dren be­ing placed at the La­dy Ho­choy Home or the staffing at the home.”

“The CATT will pro­vide the nec­es­sary over­sight in terms of the qual­i­ty of the fa­cil­i­ty, the staffing and care of the chil­dren,” she said.

She said while the fa­cil­i­ty has not been closed down, its’ op­er­a­tions have been re­strict­ed.

“The CATT is en­sur­ing the best in­ter­est of the chil­dren is main­tained at all points in time,” she as­sured.

Pressed about pre­lim­i­nary re­ports as to how the virus would have found its way in­to the Home, Web­ster-Roy said, “Same way I don’t know how I con­tract­ed COVID-19 when me and my en­tire fam­i­ly got it…we didn’t know and we still haven’t fig­ured out where we got it from.

The To­ba­go East MP and her fam­i­ly ex­cept for her sec­ond son, test­ed pos­i­tive for the virus in Sep­tem­ber – al­though they had been vac­ci­nat­ed ex­cept for her nine-year-old son.

When con­tact­ed yes­ter­day, the au­thor­i­ty said, “The au­thor­i­ty is col­lab­o­rat­ing with var­i­ous agen­cies as we seek to en­sure the chil­dren at La­dy Ho­choy Home re­ceive the nec­es­sary care and pro­tec­tion dur­ing these un­prece­dent­ed times.”

They too di­rect­ed all oth­er ques­tions to the Min­istry of Health.

The Min­istry of Health’s Cor­po­rate Com­mu­ni­ca­tions Unit lat­er di­rect­ed all ques­tions to the North West Re­gion­al Health Au­thor­i­ty (NWRHA) in­clud­ing if any­one had been hos­pi­talised; if the Delta strain had been iden­ti­fied among those so far in­fect­ed; how many per­sons had been test­ed; how the virus had found its way in­to the fa­cil­i­ty; if con­tact trac­ing was un­der­way and what had been found so far; and mea­sures had been put in place to pre­vent fur­ther spread among the home’s young and el­der­ly res­i­dents.

NWRHA’s CEO Sal­isha Baksh ad­vised that such ques­tions be di­rect­ed to the Home’s man­age­ment as she stressed, “The NWRHA does not man­age the Home.”

Ef­forts to reach the Cor­pus Christi Carmelites who are re­spon­si­ble for the Home proved fu­tile.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored