A planned protest by the Communication Workers Union (CWU) outside TSTT House in Port of Spain was cancelled at the last minute on Friday morning after police contacted the union to withdraw permission for the demonstration.
CWU secretary general Joanne Ogeer said she was informed by police in a phone call early Friday that the protest could no longer proceed.
Ogeer said permission had been granted for the demonstration as recently as Thursday, and she had been told that the union could proceed provided the protest remained peaceful.
However, she said she was later informed that the authorities had not considered the 500-metre restriction on public protests under the State of Emergency regulations.
The regulations prohibit public protests or demonstrations within 500 metres of several designated locations, including the Ministry of Finance at the Eric Williams Financial Complex on Independence Square.
The ministry is a block from the location where the CWU planned to demonstrate.
The restriction was introduced under the Emergency Powers (Prohibition of Public Protests and Demonstrations) Order, 2026.
Ogeer said the union was therefore forced to call off the protest.
The CWU had announced the demonstration for noon Friday at TSTT House.
The matter is developing.
