JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Donna Cox: Supermarkets cashing stolen cheques

by

Charles Kong Soo
1146 days ago
20220213
Minister of Social Development and Family Services, Senator Donna Cox.  (Image courtesy Ministry of Social Development and Family Services)

Minister of Social Development and Family Services, Senator Donna Cox. (Image courtesy Ministry of Social Development and Family Services)

Some of the 1,836 so­cial wel­fare cheques stolen from the San­gre Grande Post Of­fice on Jan­u­ary 1 have been cashed fraud­u­lent­ly at su­per­mar­kets.

So­cial De­vel­op­ment Min­is­ter Don­na Cox said the min­istry is mon­i­tor­ing the sit­u­a­tion.

“There are some su­per­mar­kets re­peat­ed­ly we’re see­ing where cheques are cashed there, per­sons’ cheques that are lost or turn­ing up cashed at cer­tain su­per­mar­kets and their names are pop­ping up fre­quent­ly.

“It makes you won­der what is re­al­ly hap­pen­ing, why this is hap­pen­ing in some su­per­mar­kets and not at oth­ers,” she told Guardian Me­dia.

She said this meant that some su­per­mar­kets are not tak­ing strin­gent mea­sures to ex­am­ine iden­ti­fi­ca­tion cards to cor­re­late with cheques which will be ho­n­oured by the Cen­tral Bank.

She ap­pealed to su­per­mar­kets to be more vig­i­lant al­so be­cause grant re­cip­i­ents are be­ing neg­a­tive­ly im­pact­ed.

Cox ex­plained that when cheques are lost or stolen and the min­istry has to re­place them, this is an ex­tra ex­pen­di­ture on the pub­lic purse.

Fol­low­ing the theft of the $7 mil­lion worth of grants and se­nior cit­i­zens’ pen­sion cheques, mea­sures have been tak­en to re­cov­er the stolen cheques and is­sue re­place­ments.

Cox said the min­istry was in­formed that a break-in was at­tempt­ed at the TTPost out­let in St James and her min­istry had been li­ais­ing with the Min­istry of Pub­lic Util­i­ties and TTPost on se­cu­ri­ty arrange­ments to pre­vent such in­ci­dents in the fu­ture.

They are crack­ing down on the cash­ing of so­cial wel­fare cheques by unau­tho­rised busi­ness­es. The min­istry has tem­porar­i­ly put a stop to the en­cash­ment cheques dat­ed Feb­ru­ary 1 at su­per­mar­kets and oth­er re­tail es­tab­lish­ments.

Re­ports of fraud­u­lent con­ver­sion of so­cial wel­fare cheques by in­di­vid­u­als and busi­ness­es are be­ing in­ves­ti­gat­ed by the po­lice and the min­istry is work­ing close­ly with the Cen­tral Bank, Comp­trol­ler of Ac­counts and the In­land Rev­enue Di­vi­sion.

The min­istry is al­so con­tin­u­ing its col­lab­o­ra­tion with the Bankers’ As­so­ci­a­tion to en­sure ease of do­ing busi­ness for all of its clients.

Cox ad­vised so­cial wel­fare ben­e­fi­cia­ries to call the min­istry’s hot­line num­ber at 800-1MSD (800–1673) or vis­it the so­cial wel­fare of­fice in their re­gion for fur­ther in­for­ma­tion on the di­rect de­posit ini­tia­tive or vis­it www.so­cial.gov.tt to down­load a form and ap­ply.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored