Senior Reporter
sascha.wilson@guardian.co.tt
Was Rio Claro beekeeper Melvin Pascall killed over a property dispute? Relatives of the deceased believe this may have been the motive, but investigators said yesterday that inquiries are ongoing.
Concern arose after Pascall could not be reached on his cellphone. His nephew went to his home at Deep Ravine Village shortly before 8 am, where he discovered Pascall’s lifeless body on a bed with gunshot wounds to the face and chest. Relatives said this led them to believe he was shot while asleep.
Speaking with Guardian Media outside the home, family members said Pascall had lived there for more than 20 years. The property originally belonged to his stepfather. After the deaths of his stepfather and mother last year, they said Pascall began receiving threats. Other relatives were also allegedly threatened in relation to the property, including agricultural land. Police confirmed that Pascall had previously reported receiving threats.
A relative said Pascall had also been accused of burning a vehicle allegedly linked to individuals involved in the dispute.
“We are not accusing anyone, but it is about land and it is about house,” another relative said.
Family members believe Pascall may have been killed early Wednesday morning, as a resident reported hearing gunshots around 2 am. Despite the ongoing dispute, they said they never expected the situation to escalate to violence.
Pascall lived alone. He had been married twice and fathered three children, the youngest of whom is nine years old. Relatives were unable to state his exact age but believe he was in his 40s.
Officers of the Homicide Bureau are continuing investigations.
