JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Firearm dealer sues over TTPS’ use of search warrant

by

892 days ago
20221024
Sergeant Haywood, right, and Professional Standard Bureau members execute a search warrant at a business place in Trincity during an ongoing investigation into the Firearms Users License scandal earlier this month.

Sergeant Haywood, right, and Professional Standard Bureau members execute a search warrant at a business place in Trincity during an ongoing investigation into the Firearms Users License scandal earlier this month.

ABRAHAM DIAZ

A li­censed firearm deal­er is seek­ing to pur­sue a law­suit chal­leng­ing the abil­i­ty of po­lice of­fi­cers to con­duct sev­er­al search­es on his busi­ness us­ing one search war­rant.

Guardian Me­dia un­der­stands that Luke Hadeed and his com­pa­ny As­ton En­ter­pris­es, which op­er­ates AE Tac­ti­cal, filed the ap­pli­ca­tion for ju­di­cial re­view af­ter po­lice of­fi­cers con­duct­ed sev­er­al search­es on his busi­ness over sev­er­al days ear­li­er this month.

Ac­cord­ing to his court fil­ings, ob­tained by Guardian Me­dia, the first raid took place on Oc­to­ber 8, a lit­tle over a week af­ter Sgt Matthew Hay­wood ob­tained a search war­rant from Jus­tice of the Peace Jer­ry Joseph.

Hay­wood and his col­leagues searched the busi­ness in the Trinci­ty In­dus­tri­al Es­tate and Hadeed’s home in Point Cumana and seized three mag­a­zines and 20 rounds of am­mu­ni­tion, which Hadeed claims were cov­ered un­der his Firearm User’s Li­cense (FUL).

The of­fi­cers re­turned on the four days that fol­lowed to con­tin­ue their search of the com­pa­ny’s stock, books and records us­ing the same war­rant.

Hadeed’s lawyers, Om Lal­la, Dereck Bal­li­ram and Il­isha Maner­ikar, claimed that al­though he at­tempt­ed to leave on one of the days to seek ad­vice from them, he was barred from do­ing so. They claimed that on the day of the last search, Supt Dave Spence ac­com­pa­nied the of­fi­cers and in­spect­ed Hadeed’s records.

They filed the law­suit over the ac­tion and when it came up for hear­ing be­fore Jus­tice Ava­son Quin­lan-Williams, lawyers rep­re­sent­ing the Of­fice of the Com­mis­sion­er of Po­lice gave an un­der­tak­ing that they would not seek to use the war­rant to con­duct fu­ture search­es.

Quin­lan-Williams set dead­lines for the par­ties to file sub­mis­sions on whether Hadeed should be grant­ed leave to pur­sue the law­suit and ad­journed her de­ci­sion on the is­sue to De­cem­ber 2.

Last Thurs­day, Supt Spence re­turned to the busi­ness and in­formed Hadeed that the au­dit in­to his busi­ness was com­plete and no ir­reg­u­lar­i­ties were found.

In the court fil­ings, Hadeed’s le­gal team is claim­ing the war­rant was un­nec­es­sary, as un­der Sec­tion 26 (3) of the Firearm Act, firearm deal­ers are re­quired to sub­mit to au­dits con­duct­ed by se­nior po­lice of­fi­cers au­tho­rised by the Po­lice Com­mis­sion­er.

“The ac­tions of the First and Sec­ond In­tend­ed De­fen­dants amount­ed to a fish­ing ex­pe­di­tion in the face of a war­rant that has ex­pired, and which said search can be fa­cil­i­tat­ed un­der Sec­tion 26 of the Firearms Act,” Maner­ikar said.

In the pro­posed law­suit, Hadeed’s lawyers are al­so com­plain­ing about Sgt Hay­wood’s al­leged con­duct, as they claimed he sought to im­prop­er­ly high­light the search by po­si­tion­ing his cell­phone cam­era to show the busi­ness’ sign when he was at­tend­ing a vir­tu­al hear­ing of an un­re­lat­ed case in the San Fer­nan­do Mag­is­trates’ Court they (the lawyers) were in­volved in on Oc­to­ber 12.

“The Sec­ond In­tend­ed De­fen­dant know­ing­ly and reck­less­ly, with­out car­ing whether the In­tend­ed Claimants were guilty of an of­fence, pub­lished and re­pub­lished the said video on the said plat­form with the sole de­sign of prej­u­dic­ing the In­tend­ed Claimants and the in­ves­ti­ga­tion be­ing con­duct­ed,” Maner­ikar said.

At­tached to the law­suit was an af­fi­davit from Hadeed, in which he de­tailed what tran­spired. In the doc­u­ment, which was filed be­fore the un­der­tak­ing was giv­en, Hadeed claimed he was con­cerned that the search­es would con­tin­ue with­out the court’s in­ter­ven­tion.

“I fear that if this un­law­ful ex­er­cise were to con­tin­ue, it would dam­age my busi­ness in such a way that it may be dif­fi­cult for me to re­cov­er,” Hadeed said.

Through the law­suit, Hadeed and his com­pa­ny are seek­ing a de­c­la­ra­tion that Joseph did not have rea­son­able or prob­a­ble cause to sus­pect they com­mit­ted crim­i­nal of­fences when he grant­ed the war­rant.

They are al­so seek­ing a de­c­la­ra­tion that Hay­wood act­ed in bad faith in se­cur­ing the war­rant and seek­ing to use it to al­leged­ly ma­lign Hadeed and his com­pa­ny’s rep­u­ta­tions. They al­so want the TTPS to re­turn the mag­a­zines and am­mu­ni­tion that were seized.

Pro­vid­ed that Hadeed is grant­ed leave to pur­sue the case lat­er this year, its even­tu­al out­come is like­ly to set a le­gal prece­dent and would guide the use of search war­rants by the TTPS in the fu­ture.

Guardian Me­dia un­der­stands Hadeed is one of sev­er­al firearm deal­ers who have been probed as part of an on­go­ing in­ves­ti­ga­tion in­to the TTPS’s Firearms Unit.

Since the in­ves­ti­ga­tion was launched af­ter for­mer po­lice com­mis­sion­er Gary Grif­fith’s con­tract end­ed, sev­er­al for­mer mem­bers of the unit were charged with crim­i­nal of­fences, in­clud­ing mis­be­hav­iour in pub­lic of­fice in re­la­tion to an al­leged FUL vari­a­tion rack­et.

Ear­li­er this month, firearms deal­er Brent Thomas was charged with pos­ses­sion of pro­hib­it­ed au­to­mat­ic firearms and ex­plo­sives that were al­leged­ly found at his Mar­aval home. Thomas has been re­leased on $800,000 bail.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored