JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Five killed in shooting hours before SoE

Police say four were ‘collateral damage’ in reprisal attack

by

Anna-Lisa Paul
94 days ago
20241231

Sto­ries by An­na-Lisa Paul

Se­nior Re­porter

an­na-lisa.paul@guardian.co.tt

The mass mur­der of five peo­ple in Laven­tille is be­ing re­gard­ed as a reprisal killing which posed a threat to na­tion­al se­cu­ri­ty, prompt­ing a State of Emer­gency be­ing called.

Yes­ter­day, hours af­ter the vi­o­lent in­ci­dent, Priz­gar Lands, Laven­tille, re­mained eeri­ly qui­et with de­sert­ed streets and locked gates at every turn.

Even though some doors and win­dows were slight­ly ajar, res­i­dents stayed well away from sight and re­fused to speak, as they warned re­porters to stay out of the area.

Fear and un­cer­tain­ty, as well as sor­row and an­guish, could be seen on the faces of sev­er­al men who re­fused to talk about Sun­day night’s shoot­ing which end­ed the lives of five men in the area.

A sixth was left nurs­ing a gun­shot wound to the up­per left arm af­ter the dust set­tled on De­cem­ber 29, while two oth­ers nar­row­ly es­caped death af­ter re­port­ed­ly lock­ing them­selves in­to an ad­join­ing room.

Po­lice iden­ti­fied the five vic­tims as Ryan Lessey, 23, of Priz­gar Lands; Der­ron Cal­liste, 35, of Priz­gar Lands; Cleon Lu­g­in, 37, of Priz­gar Lands; Kam­bon Omowale, 39, of Quintin Trace, Priz­gar Lands; and Gareth Smart, of Thoma­sine Street, Laven­tille.

A 32-year-old man, al­so from Priz­gar Lands, who was in­jured dur­ing the shoot­ing, was treat­ed and dis­charged.

Po­lice said Lessey died at the scene, while the re­main­ing vic­tims were pro­nounced dead on ar­rival at the Port-of-Spain Gen­er­al Hos­pi­tal on Sun­day night.

In­ves­ti­ga­tors said the six were am­bushed by three armed men at 8.30 pm whilst lim­ing at St John Shop, which is sit­u­at­ed along Priz­gar Lands Cir­cu­lar.

Po­lice said a blue Elantra and a white Nis­san AD wag­on stopped in front of the shop and the gun­men en­tered and opened fire on the oc­cu­pants, who had been gath­ered in a room to the back.

It was be­lieved they were af­ter Lessey, and the re­main­ing vic­tims were as one fam­i­ly yes­ter­day de­scribed, “just col­lat­er­al dam­age.”

Rel­a­tives of Omowale yes­ter­day plead­ed for the tragedy to be a “one and done,” as they called for peo­ple not to seek re­venge or to spark any reprisal killings as a re­sult.

This was echoed by oth­er res­i­dents of the Laven­tille com­mu­ni­ty, who said, “Right now, they say­ing down to the dogs and all in Priz­gar Lands they want to deal with, so we just stay­ing qui­et and hum­ble.”

Speak­ing with re­porters at the Foren­sic Sci­ence Cen­tre, St James, Omowale’s rel­a­tives wept as they said he was a hard-work­ing fa­ther of two chil­dren aged 16 and two.

Omowale, who has lived in the area his en­tire life, had been em­ployed with the Port-of-Spain City Cor­po­ra­tion and al­so op­er­at­ed a small busi­ness.

Asked if the vic­tims had been ac­cus­tomed to lim­ing at the shop where they were killed, one woman said, “That was his friend’s busi­ness and he nor­mal­ly goes out the road to sup­port. They were just lim­ing nor­mal, which is what they were ac­cus­tomed do­ing.”

An­oth­er rel­a­tive fought back tears as she said, “Our area is not known for hav­ing any sort of gun vi­o­lence or any­thing like that. Priz­gar Lands has been very qui­et for a long time, so this is a huge shock.”

A rel­a­tive said on­ly one of the men in the group was the tar­get of the gun­men.

“He was known to the po­lice and it seems like they came for him and they were just there...they were just col­lat­er­al dam­age.”

The Lidj Ya­su Omowale Eman­ci­pa­tion Vil­lage was named af­ter Omowale’s fa­ther, Lidj Ya­su Pi­ankhi Omowale, who died in 1996.

The Eman­ci­pa­tion Sup­port Com­mit­tee, with Lidj Ya­su Omowale and Khafra Kam­bon as co-chairs, was formed as an um­brel­la body to strength­en the Eman­ci­pa­tion Cel­e­bra­tions back in 1992.

Kam­bon Omowale was the last of ten chil­dren and was de­scribed as the “ba­by.”

Re­veal­ing he was a qui­et per­son who nev­er spoke much, one of his rel­a­tives said, “He was not known to the po­lice ... he was not in­volved in any­thing.

“I hope the po­lice deal with what­ev­er sit­u­a­tion and there is no reprisal shoot­ing and no­body don’t take it up­on them­selves to seek jus­tice on any­one’s be­half.

“We are alive and still have to live in the com­mu­ni­ty and we re­al­ly don’t want any sort of vi­o­lence to take place in the com­mu­ni­ty. We just leav­ing it in the po­lice and God’s hands. I don’t want no­body to end no­body life on be­half of me. I don’t want it.”

Po­lice sources sus­pect the mass mur­der was a re­venge at­tack af­ter the mur­der of 34-year-old Trevor Williams out­side the Besson Street Po­lice Sta­tion on Sat­ur­day. In­ves­ti­ga­tors said Williams was not the tar­get. He was ac­com­pa­ny­ing Calvin Lee, al­so known as “Tyson” or “6 Dan,” who had gone to the sta­tion to sign the bail book. Lee, who had been charged in Jan­u­ary this year with firearm-re­lat­ed of­fences, sur­vived the at­tack.

Law en­force­ment of­fi­cials iden­ti­fied Lee as a pri­or­i­ty of­fend­er due to his sus­pect­ed in­volve­ment in crim­i­nal ac­tiv­i­ties.

Ac­knowl­edg­ing the ru­mours that the killing of the five men, cou­pled with a killing out­side the Besson Street Po­lice Sta­tion on Sat­ur­day, had sparked the SoE, Omowale’s rel­a­tives said they were aware of what was be­ing said.

De­spite this, they said, “That won’t bring him back. As a fam­i­ly, we still have to bury him, we still have to deal with it years af­ter.”

A man, who is a rel­a­tive of Lessey said, “The youths of to­day, in that age group ... they not easy, they not re­al­ly lis­ten­ing to any­body, they get­ting in­flu­enced by oth­ers, do­ing their own thing. You can’t talk to them.”

Asked if Lessey was one of these youths, the rel­a­tive ad­mit­ted, “He’s not no saint yuh know.”

He said the vic­tims were hard-work­ing peo­ple who were just look­ing to take care of their re­spec­tive fam­i­lies and hap­pened to be in the same place as Lessey.

Mur­ders con­tin­ue in Va­len­cia

And in a sep­a­rate in­ci­dent on Sun­day night at San Pablo Road, Va­len­cia, one man was killed and an­oth­er in­jured af­ter a gun­man opened fire on their car.

Po­lice said Hyson Ju­nior James alias Bones, 23, of George Street, San Souci, was shot mul­ti­ple times and died at the scene, while a 21-year-old man of San Pablo Road, Va­len­cia, was in­jured.

Of­fi­cers said the two were dri­ving out of San Pablo Road around 9.55 pm on De­cem­ber 29, when up­on reach­ing Rus­tona Trace a man emerged from be­hind a co­conut tree and opened fire on their car.

The in­jured man re­port­ed­ly ran to a rel­a­tive’s house which was close by, leav­ing James alone.

In the last few weeks, there have been two dead­ly shoot­ings in Va­len­cia.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored