JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Israel rescues 4 hostages taken in Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack. At least 94 Palestinians are killed

by

Newsdesk
300 days ago
20240608
Almog Meir Jan, 21, kidnapped from Israel in a Hamas-led attack on Oct. 7, 2023, raises his hands after arriving by helicopter to the Sheba Medical Center in Ramat Gan, Israel, Saturday, June 8, 2024. Israel says it has rescued four hostages in Gaza who were kidnapped in a Hamas-led attack on Oct. 7. (AP Photo/Tomer Appelbaum)

Almog Meir Jan, 21, kidnapped from Israel in a Hamas-led attack on Oct. 7, 2023, raises his hands after arriving by helicopter to the Sheba Medical Center in Ramat Gan, Israel, Saturday, June 8, 2024. Israel says it has rescued four hostages in Gaza who were kidnapped in a Hamas-led attack on Oct. 7. (AP Photo/Tomer Appelbaum)

Tomer Appelbaum

Is­rael on Sat­ur­day car­ried out its largest hostage res­cue op­er­a­tion since the war with Hamas be­gan, tak­ing four to safe­ty out of cen­tral Gaza as heavy fight­ing con­tin­ued there. At least 94 dead Pales­tini­ans, in­clud­ing chil­dren, were brought to lo­cal hos­pi­tals, a health of­fi­cial said.

Is­raelis were ju­bi­lant as the army said it res­cued Noa Arga­mani, 25; Al­mog Meir Jan, 21; An­drey Ko­zlov, 27; and Shlo­mi Ziv, 40, in a day­time op­er­a­tion in the heart of Nu­seirat, raid­ing two lo­ca­tions at once and un­der fire. All were well, the mil­i­tary said. They were tak­en by he­li­copter for med­ical checks and re­unions with loved ones af­ter 246 days held.

Arga­mani had been one of the most wide­ly rec­og­nized hostages af­ter be­ing tak­en, like the three oth­ers, from a mu­sic fes­ti­val. The video of her ab­duc­tion was among the first to sur­face, with her be­tween two men on a mo­tor­cy­cle as she screamed, “Don’t kill me!”

Her moth­er, Li­o­ra, has stage four brain can­cer and in April re­leased a video plead­ing to see her daugh­ter be­fore she dies.

An elat­ed Arga­mani spoke by phone with Prime Min­is­ter Ben­jamin Ne­tanyahu. In a video mes­sage re­leased by the gov­ern­ment, she tells him she is “very ex­cit­ed,” say­ing she hasn’t heard He­brew in so long.

Ne­tanyahu in a state­ment said “Is­rael does not sur­ren­der to ter­ror­ism and acts with cre­ativ­i­ty and bold­ness that knows no bounds to bring home our ab­ductees.” He vowed to con­tin­ue the fight­ing un­til all are freed.

The op­er­a­tion was “dar­ing in na­ture, planned bril­liant­ly, and ex­e­cut­ed in an ex­tra­or­di­nary fash­ion,” De­fense Min­is­ter Yoav Gal­lant said.

The bod­ies of near­ly 100 Pales­tini­ans killed were tak­en to Al-Aqsa Hos­pi­tal, where spokesper­son Khalil De­gran told The As­so­ci­at­ed Press more than 100 wound­ed al­so ar­rived. AP re­porters saw dozens of bod­ies brought from the Nu­seirat and Deir al-Bal­ah ar­eas, as smoke rose in the dis­tance and ar­mored ve­hi­cles rolled by.

A ba­by was among the dead. Small chil­dren wailed, cov­ered in blood. Bod­ies were placed on the ground out­side, their feet bare, as more wound­ed were rushed in.

“My two cousins were killed, and two oth­er cousins were se­ri­ous­ly in­jured. They did not com­mit any sin. They were sit­ting at home,” one rel­a­tive said in the chaos.

Is­rael’s mil­i­tary said it had at­tacked “threats to our forces in the area.” The mil­i­tary said one com­man­do died from his wounds.

A U.S. hostage cell pro­vid­ed ad­vice and sup­port through­out the process of lo­cat­ing and res­cu­ing the hostages, ac­cord­ing to a Biden ad­min­is­tra­tion of­fi­cial. The of­fi­cial, who was not au­tho­rized to com­ment and re­quest­ed anonymi­ty, de­clined to of­fer fur­ther de­tail on the Amer­i­can in­volve­ment. The hostage cells are mul­ti-agency teams.

“We won’t stop work­ing un­til all the hostages come home and a cease-fire is reached,” U.S. Pres­i­dent Joe Biden said.

Hamas took some 250 hostages dur­ing the Oct. 7 at­tack that killed about 1,200 peo­ple. About half were re­leased in a week­long cease-fire in No­vem­ber. About 120 hostages re­main, with 43 pro­nounced dead. Sur­vivors in­clude about 15 women, two chil­dren un­der the age of 5 and two men in their 80s.

Sat­ur­day’s hostage re­cov­ery op­er­a­tion brings the to­tal of res­cued cap­tives to sev­en. Two men were res­cued in Feb­ru­ary and a woman was res­cued in the af­ter­math of the Oc­to­ber at­tack. Is­raeli troops have re­cov­ered at least 16 bod­ies of hostages, ac­cord­ing to the gov­ern­ment.

The lat­est res­cue was ex­pect­ed to lift spir­its in Is­rael at a time when the war is drag­ging on and di­vi­sions are deep­en­ing over the best way to bring hostages home.

It was un­clear what ef­fect it might have on ap­par­ent­ly stalled cease-fire ef­forts. U.S. Sec­re­tary of State Antony Blinken will re­turn to the Mid­dle East next week, seek­ing a break­through.

“The hostage re­lease and cease-fire deal that is now on the ta­ble would se­cure the re­lease of all the re­main­ing hostages to­geth­er with se­cu­ri­ty as­sur­ances for Is­rael and re­lief for the in­no­cent civil­ians in Gaza,” na­tion­al se­cu­ri­ty ad­vis­er Jake Sul­li­van said in a state­ment.

Ne­tanyahu faces grow­ing pres­sure to end the fight­ing in Gaza. Many Is­raelis urge him to em­brace a deal Biden an­nounced last month, but far-right al­lies threat­en to col­lapse his gov­ern­ment if he does.

In­ter­na­tion­al pres­sure al­so mounts on Is­rael to lim­it civil­ian blood­shed in its war in Gaza, which reached its eighth month on Fri­day with more than 36,700 Pales­tini­ans killed, ac­cord­ing to Gaza’s Health Min­istry, which does not dis­tin­guish be­tween fight­ers and civil­ians. Pales­tini­ans face wide­spread hunger be­cause fight­ing and Is­raeli re­stric­tions have large­ly cut off the flow of aid.

Is­rael is in­ten­si­fy­ing op­er­a­tions across cen­tral Gaza, where the hostages were res­cued. On Thurs­day, an Is­raeli airstrike hit a U.N.-run school com­pound in Nu­seirat, killing over 33 peo­ple in­side the school, in­clud­ing three women and nine chil­dren.

Is­rael said some 30 mil­i­tants were in­side at the time and on Fri­day re­leased the names of 17 mil­i­tants it said were killed. How­ev­er, on­ly nine of those names matched with records of the dead from the hos­pi­tal morgue.

One of the al­leged mil­i­tants was an 8-year-old boy, ac­cord­ing to hos­pi­tal records.

Is­rael’s mil­i­tary on Sat­ur­day as­sert­ed that “Hamas is a ter­ror or­ga­ni­za­tion that of­ten us­es fake doc­u­ments dis­guis­ing ter­ror­ists as women or chil­dren.”

Instagram


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored