JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

King Luta no longer seeking injunction against TUCO

by

1165 days ago
20220124
Morel “King Luta” Peters.

Morel “King Luta” Peters.

Tony Howell

Derek Achong

Vet­er­an ca­lyp­son­ian Morel “King Lu­ta” Pe­ters is no longer seek­ing an in­junc­tion against the Trin­ba­go Uni­fied Ca­lyp­so­ni­ans Or­gan­i­sa­tion (TU­CO) as part of his le­gal ac­tion against it over its fail­ure to hold a by-elec­tion fol­low­ing the pass­ing of for­mer TU­CO pres­i­dent Lu­ta­lo “Broth­er Re­sis­tance” Mas­sim­ba.

In De­cem­ber, last year, Pe­ters filed a law­suit over the is­sue in­clud­ing an ap­pli­ca­tion for an in­junc­tion com­pelling the elec­tion.

Guardian Me­dia un­der­stands that Pe­ters’ lawyer with­drew the in­junc­tion as­pect of the case when it came up for a pre­lim­i­nary hear­ing be­fore Jus­tice Kevin Ram­cha­ran, yes­ter­day morn­ing.

The de­ci­sion on the in­junc­tion means that for­mer TU­CO Vice Pres­i­dent and cur­rent Pres­i­dent Ains­ley King would re­main in the post at least un­til the law­suit is de­ter­mined by Jus­tice Ram­cha­ran or un­til the or­gan­i­sa­tion’s gen­er­al coun­cil de­cides to host the elec­tion.

The first case man­age­ment hear­ing of the sub­stan­tive case is set to take place on March 2.

In his law­suit, Pe­ters, a two-time Ca­lyp­so Monarch, is claim­ing that the or­gan­i­sa­tion’s Gen­er­al Coun­cil breached its con­sti­tu­tion when it vot­ed for King to be el­e­vat­ed to the post, af­ter Mas­sim­ba passed away on Ju­ly 13, last year.

The 71-year-old from Bar­rack­pore is re­ly­ing on Ar­ti­cle 9(j) of the or­gan­i­sa­tion’s con­sti­tu­tion, which states that the Gen­er­al Coun­cil has the pow­er to fill a va­can­cy by the show of hands or by se­cret bal­lot un­til the by-elec­tion takes place, which will be no lat­er than three months of such va­can­cy aris­ing.

In his af­fi­davit at­tached to his law­suit, Pe­ters sought to ex­plain why he is pur­su­ing the law­suit.

“I am very in­ter­est­ed in see­ing that TU­CO is prop­er­ly gov­erned and that the best in­ter­ests of ca­lyp­so­ni­ans are tak­en in­to ac­count in so do­ing and I stand to be di­rect­ly af­fect­ed by the de­ci­sion tak­en by the De­fen­dant in its ca­pac­i­ty as the gov­ern­ing body for ca­lyp­so­ni­ans in T&T,” Pe­ters said.

Pe­ters claimed that af­ter he threat­ened le­gal ac­tion in Oc­to­ber, last year, Gen­er­al Sec­re­tary Shirlane Hen­drick­son failed to ad­dress his con­cerns over the al­leged breach of the con­sti­tu­tion.

“It is clear that the De­fen­dant has no in­ten­tion of re­scind­ing its de­ci­sion and re­mains de­fi­ant in its ‘el­e­va­tion’ of Mr King to the Pres­i­den­cy of the or­gan­i­sa­tion,” Pe­ters said.

In an in­ter­view with Guardian Me­dia, when the is­sue was raised by Pe­ters, late last year, King, the for­mer Chair­man of TU­CO’s To­ba­go Zone, de­nied any wrong­do­ing as he claimed that sim­i­lar ac­tion was tak­en by the Gen­er­al Coun­cil in the past to fill un­ex­pect­ed va­can­cies.

“I threw the di­rec­tion and fu­ture of the or­gan­i­sa­tion in the hands of them. They were the ones who de­cid­ed that based on what is hap­pen­ing and the in­ter­pre­ta­tion, let us have a vote and vote was tak­en,” King said at the time.

Pe­ters is be­ing rep­re­sent­ed by Pe­ter Tay­lor, while Umesh Ma­haraj and Ner­isa Bala are rep­re­sent­ing TU­CO.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored