JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Friday, April 4, 2025

Minister: WASA managing water supply well through dry season

by

Kalain Hosein
743 days ago
20230322
Deon Pharboo, a pupil of Ramai Trace Hindu School, quenches his thirst from a standpipe on Ramai Trace in Debe  yesterday.

Deon Pharboo, a pupil of Ramai Trace Hindu School, quenches his thirst from a standpipe on Ramai Trace in Debe yesterday.

RISHI RAGOONATH

Trinidad and To­ba­go is pro­gress­ing through the third month of the 2023 dry sea­son with­out the Wa­ter and Sew­er­age Au­thor­i­ty (WASA) hav­ing to im­ple­ment a wa­ter re­stric­tion sched­ule—some­thing that had be­come com­mon­place for this dry pe­ri­od in years past.

This was the word from Min­is­ter of Pub­lic Util­i­ties Mar­vin Gon­za­les yes­ter­day, as he not­ed that wa­ter ra­tioning has so far been un­nec­es­sary this year.

Speak­ing at the in­au­gur­al Caribbean Re­gion­al Con­fer­ence on Wa­ter Loss yes­ter­day, Gon­za­les said the de­ci­sion to deal with non-rev­enue wa­ter, or wa­ter lost due to leaks or unau­tho­rised con­nec­tions had max­imised wa­ter flow for cit­i­zens.

“We are able to man­age our reser­voirs, the Ca­roni Wa­ter Treat­ment Plant, the Hills­bor­ough Wa­ter Treat­ment Plant, North Oropouche, Hol­lis—those leaks and reser­voirs are be­ing man­aged so well that to this point, we have not is­sued a dry sea­son sched­ule,” Gon­za­les said.

He al­so ex­plained that last year, WASA un­der­took a ma­jor project to de­silt the Hills­bor­ough Dam in To­ba­go, which was com­plet­ed by the end of 2022. He said this de­silt­ing ex­er­cise had in­creased the dam’s ca­pac­i­ty be­yond the 1,020,000 cu­bic me­tre ca­pac­i­ty, or 270 mil­lion US gal­lons.

“The peo­ple of To­ba­go are in a very good place,” said Gon­za­les.

How­ev­er, he warned that some parts of the coun­try could be placed un­der a wa­ter re­stric­tion sched­ule if the cur­rent lev­el of dry­ness con­tin­ues over the next three weeks.

He ex­plained, “Cus­tomers of the Hol­lis sys­tem might be placed on a sched­ule be­cause the in­for­ma­tion we’re re­ceiv­ing is that the dam is start­ing to fall in terms of its lev­els.”

The Min­is­ter al­so said due to three to four ground­wa­ter wells drilled in the Aripo area last year, the Hol­lis dis­tri­b­u­tion net­work has an ex­tra “600,000 or 700,000 gal­lons” of wa­ter, sup­ple­ment­ing the cur­rent fall in wa­ter lev­els at the Hol­lis dam.

In ad­di­tion, he said WASA had in­vest­ed sig­nif­i­cant­ly in ground­wa­ter sources, mean­ing wells drilled in­to rock for­ma­tions that hold wa­ter be­low the ground. These sources have added 700,000 to 800,000 gal­lons to the wa­ter sup­ply.

Dur­ing the dry sea­son, wa­ter re­stric­tions on hoses and pres­sure wash­ers are some­times im­ple­ment­ed, but not this year. Still, Gon­za­les asked the pub­lic to do the right thing. He said al­though T&T has wa­ter, “you should not con­tin­ue wa­ter­ing your lawn, wash­ing down your yard and pow­er wash­ing and all this kind of thing. Do the re­spon­si­ble thing.”

He con­tin­ued, “By do­ing that, we will have more wa­ter avail­able to be re­dis­trib­uted to un­served and un­der­served com­mu­ni­ties, and we will not be able or may not have to im­pose a wa­ter re­stric­tion sched­ule on our cus­tomers.”


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored