JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Monday Night Mas mayhem in Sando

by

Radhica De Silva and Innis Francis
772 days ago
20230221
Minx Promotions' Dejavu was the only band to cross the stage during Monday Night Mas in San Fernando.

Minx Promotions' Dejavu was the only band to cross the stage during Monday Night Mas in San Fernando.

INNIS FRANCIS

RAD­HI­CA DE SIL­VA & IN­NISS FRAN­CIS

rad­hi­ca.sookraj@guardian.co.tt

 

There was dis­or­der in San Fer­nan­do for Mon­day Night Mas, as some bands went to be judged at Har­ris Prom­e­nade, on­ly to find the area des­o­late and de­void of judges.

When the first band crossed the judg­ing point around 12.30 am, they ex­pressed out­rage that the route had been changed with­out the band­lead­ers' knowl­edge.

But speak­ing to Guardian Me­dia, San Fer­nan­do May­or Ju­nia Re­grel­lo ex­plained that the de­ci­sion to change the route for Mon­day Night Mas was a cost-ef­fec­tive move tak­en at the last minute.

Re­spond­ing to crit­i­cisms from band­lead­ers that the route had been shift­ed from Har­ris Prom­e­nade to the South­ern Acad­e­my for the Per­form­ing Arts with­out their knowl­edge, Re­grel­lo said he was not part of the de­ci­sion-mak­ing. How­ev­er, he ex­plained why the de­ci­sion was made.

“They shift­ed from the Prom­e­nade be­cause of the light­ing tow­ers. It re­quired ad­di­tion­al light­ing for there and sup­port­ing in­fra­struc­ture and they were say­ing that you al­ready have a light­ing sys­tem down here (SAPA). Re­mem­ber there is a cost (to set up ad­di­tion­al light­ing)," the May­or ex­plained.

He added: "Now, you had a judg­ing point here yes­ter­day morn­ing and yes­ter­day dur­ing the evening and the night. So, if you have to move back there, the whole light­ing in­fra­struc­ture, there is a cost to it and giv­en the lim­it­ed funds we have, we tried to make two ends meet. It re­quires a com­pro­mise here and a com­pro­mise there."

Told that the fi­nal route was not shared with some bands, Re­grel­lo said: "The de­ci­sion was made yes­ter­day around lunchtime and from what I gath­er, I wasn’t in­volved."

He said the bands could have eas­i­ly made their way to SAPA once they re­alised there was no judg­ing point on the Prom­e­nade.

"In any case, if you have five hours to play with, you have more room to play your mas, it's not a case where you are lim­it­ed, so I see this not as a neg­a­tive but a pos­i­tive," he added.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored